Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tilapia

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've given in and will try to grill some Costco Tilapia this evening (that excites the wife). 

Not sure yet what the plan is but skewers for the veggies are in the mix so I'm thinking the Tilapia will be on skewers as well. 

We're looking at a Tilapia kabob ensemble. Veggies. Tilapia rolled or curled up and skewered, brushed with EVOO and some spices and raised direct at 350F dome.

Has anyone mastered Tilapia on the BGE? I think this will work just fine..... 

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Tilapia was my first cook on my new BGE on Good Friday of this year. In fact, it was the first time I had ever cooked fish of any type on a grill. I was floored by how good it was and I've cooked it several times since.

I cook indirect at 300 deg. I coat the fish with a little olive oil, season, and cook it for 10-12 min. No need to turn it over using the Egg. Quick, easy, cheap, and delicious! I've never tried smoke, but I bet a little hickory while cooking would be good too.

My last tilapia cook - I used Weber's Zesty Lemon Seafood and Chicken seasoning along with just a tad extra salt. Very, very good stuff.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Rolled, while grilling at 350 raised, sounds like you'll overcook the outer surface while the inside will be undercooked.  I'd either lower the temp and go indirect, or leave them flat.  
    Wonder what planked tilapia would taste like?  Think I'll try that out; tilapia seems to be the only affordable fish left... 
    :(

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Options
    I rubbed my first egged tilapia with Dizzy Dust and cooked on a Himalayan salt block.  It turned out great.  The salt block was in a 400* egg raised direct.
  • jimbrandt
    jimbrandt Posts: 9
    Options
    I do Talapia indirect and is one of the favorites of my family. I brush the flat side of the fillets with Olive oil. The tops get a generous coating of honey. I then season with Cavenders Greek seasoning, garlic pepper, and some sea salt. I use some chunks of apple wood for smoke. I use the platesetter and stabilize temp around the 200-225 range. I usually leave them on around 45 minutes, even up to an hour sometimes. I have also used this method for fresh Crappie and Bass. Never have had a complaint!
  • raider60
    raider60 Posts: 62
    Options
    Does anyone know where I can get a large platesetter that won't cost me  in excess of $100 like my local BBQ Galore wanted?
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Did these at 350 ish. Direct. About 6mins. The salmon went on just a tad earlier due to thickness. I've always had a difficult time getting them off "perfect" as they are a delicate fish. But oh well. It tasted good.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    The wife and son LOVED ours. They like the grilled corn more! I like all the grilled veggies we had with it. The skewer thing only partially worked on the Talapia, wouldn't do that again for the fish and next time will try our 'holey' pan that we use to grill veggies on the BGE, it'll allow removal of the fish from the grill without the risk of it breaking up.