Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help on temp control

Options
Sookie
Sookie Posts: 335
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Working on a standing rib roast today.  I got the egg up to about 200, added some chips, got my thermometers in place and put my meat on.  I closed the vents to about 1/2 open on the daisy wheel and about an inch on the bottom vent.  The temp slowly climbed, and it just kept going.  I did a couple vent adjustments making the flow smaller, but it still kept rising.  It's now at 253, and I wanted to slow cook at 200-225.  Short of closing it down, how can I get this temp down? 

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Close it down, keep an eye on it and when it gets back close to your range, barely and I mean barely open the bottom vent and the daisy wheel., 

The fire won't go out.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Not a lot of difference between 200 and 250 as far as the product goes. Duganboy has it right

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sookie
    Options
    OK thanks guys.  I just didn't want it to go out.  The remote thermometer is the best.  I can watch it closely from here :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i wouldn't shut it all the way, just a sliver.  trapped smoke from a dying fire is as bad as the smoke from putting it on too early (both from incomplete combustion).

think of a candle wick smoldering after blowing it out.  you do NOT want that
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options

agree with stike    leave open a sliver  I would not worry about a 250 cook vs a 225

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Sookie
    Options
    All done.  It has turned out absolutely gorgeous.  I did shut it down for a few and opened it back up, but the flame never fully extinguished so I think I'm good.  I can't wait to dive into it tonight and show it off to my friends :)