Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

3-1-1, 3-2, 3-2-1 methods for Ribs

Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
edited May 2012 in Forum Feedback

I have seen people talk about a 3-1-1 method,  a 3-2-1 method,  I think a 5-1 method.     Can someone explain what these mean?

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• BoilereggerBoileregger Posts: 345
    The numbers represent time on the grill and time wrapped in foil in this order: grill-foil-grill. Personally, I have most success with 3-1.5-1. That is, 3 hours on the grill, then wrap in foil and put on for 1.5 hours, then unwrap and put back on grill for an hour, saucing with 30 min and 15 min remaining. Did that tonight and got excellent results.
  • njlnjl Posts: 826
    The time in the foil is supposed to make them more tender, juicy, or both?
  • hartofatigerhartofatiger Posts: 197
    3-2-1 IMHO makes the ribs fall off the bone. I like a little pull to the ribs, so 3-1-1 works well. Mine went about 20 min over at the end.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,368
    I don't wrap them in foil.  IMO, that's akin to boiling them as they steam in their own juice.  They get tender just giving them 4 -5 hours at 250* and then saucing as desired.   5-1 is 5 hrs cooking at 250* and the last hour with sauce.

I raise the heat to at least 300* when saucing to slightly crystallize and bake it on.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,921
    I'm with Ragtop99-I like to let the BGE do all the work after I prep the food, fire and whatever else.  So I'm in the X-0-0 camp. And they are always great-no sauce either-that's on the side.  to each his/her own:)
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • TarHeelBBQTarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    I do 3-2-1. I've done this twice. Works nicely.

Thx,

TarHeelBBQ