Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy here coming from Weber. (Looking Large and XL)

124»

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    I got the XL in December and I am very happy. If they come out wit a bigger one I would buy it. My next egg will be another XL. Once your cook for your friends and family its hard to get rid of them. 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

Slow down.  Get to know each other first.

• Derek9511
    Derek9511 Posts: 6
    Thanks guys now I just need to convince the Mrs that this would be a great weekend to go pick it up and break it in. One more question I read somewhere that on the first two or three cooks not to let the temp go above 350 is it more a matter of time to cure the seal or cycles of temp to cure it?
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Thanks guys now I just need to convince the Mrs that this would be a great weekend to go pick it up and break it in. One more question I read somewhere that on the first two or three cooks not to let the temp go above 350 is it more a matter of time to cure the seal or cycles of temp to cure it?
    I'm running mine right now just to break the gasket in. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Sgt93

Slow down.  Get to know each other first.

LOL
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I like both companies but the rig does multi levels (I think it can actuly do 3 levels of flat ribs). I do like the cast iron style of the swing rack though.

From what I have seen the adjustable rig is great for baby back pork ribs. I am just concerned on clearance between levels with big beef ribs. I thought about calling and asking them as I still have some time to research it. If there is anyone with an xl adjustable rig that has done multiple levels of beef ribs I would be very content to but the AR. Whatever system holds the most beef ribs will work for me. Of course I will be cooking many other things, but this is the buying purpose for my first rig for the xl.
    the rig can do 2 Briskets and 6 butts on a large. All much thicker than beef ribs. I think you could do 3 racks of beef ribs but you should ask Tom.

I will ask Tom. I would rather give them the business if it works. On a side note my mini woo was delivered today. I like it.
  • Sgt93
    I have ran her 2 nights now while doing work (to help the seal). First night ran her 280 and tonight about 225. She maintained her heat. This grill is so easy to maintain it is amazing. I hope to grill tomorrow but more than likely Friday.
  • Sgt93
    My buddy just called me and said he went to look at the BGE's today. He has a wife and 5 kids (all a year apart). The dealer told him not to get an XL because they use too much charcoal etc. I told him about how I have burned for over 10 hours and still have plenty of lump.  Unreal.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I am surprised at these dealers down playing the XL...they obviously don't own one if they are making these claims or they have other motives like they don't have any XL's in stock.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    XL's do burn more charcoal, but not so significant that it'll break the bank. That's like telling someone that owns a KIA that a truck will burn more fuel. Really, no kidding?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sgt93
    This dealer had all sizes in stock as well. My buddy said the guy made it sound like we were burning gold in the XL's LOL
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Maybe your friend should find a new dealer

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Newportlocal
    My buddy just called me and said he went to look at the BGE's today. He has a wife and 5 kids (all a year apart). The dealer told him not to get an XL because they use too much charcoal etc. I told him about how I have burned for over 10 hours and still have plenty of lump.  Unreal.

Annoying. I have a wife and 4 kids and can't wait. Use my mini at least once a day. Will get an xl in next 2-3 weeks with tax return money. When I got the mini I put one of my webers on the street and someone got a free BBQ. When I get the xl the brinkmann smoke'n pit smoke king deluxe will go out on the street for some other lucky soul. Amazingly,when I bought them not once did I think about charcoal, mesquite,etc.consumption.
  • Sgt93
    Maybe your friend should find a new dealer

Exactly! That's what I did.
  • Sgt93

Annoying. I have a wife and 4 kids and can't wait. Use my mini at least once a day. Will get an xl in next 2-3 weeks with tax return money. When I got the mini I put one of my webers on the street and someone got a free BBQ. When I get the xl the brinkmann smoke'n pit smoke king deluxe will go out on the street for some other lucky soul. Amazingly,when I bought them not once did I think about charcoal, mesquite,etc.consumption.
    I'm still a little shocked at some of the dealers and their lack of knowledge on the XL.
  • Sgt93
    BTW, buddy said this dealer also does cooking classes with the BGE.
  • Newportlocal

Sounds like the blind leading the blind. I will get my info here and kitchen knife forum. Probably buying the xl and a vacmaster 215 at the same time then a sous vide at Christmas. Trial and error and learning from those who went before me is my preferred learning tool. Guys like Cen-Tex,Village idiot, Mickey, etc. etc. Seem to be dialing it in well.
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    That would be cool....Fred's BBQ Music and Supply does that from what I've seen on Youtube.  I don't know of any of them that do it up here, I'd like to see some of the accessories in action so I'd know if they are worth ordering.
  • Sgt93
    That would be cool....Fred's BBQ Music and Supply does that from what I've seen on Youtube.  I don't know of any of them that do it up here, I'd like to see some of the accessories in action so I'd know if they are worth ordering.
    The dealer where I bought mine cooks on an XL daily (supermarket) so it was cool to se in action.  There is a guy who does nothing but grill out. That's the job I want! 

• DIXIEDOG
    I could go for that job....except I'd most likely weight about 600 lbs from all the sampling.   I'd need great health insurance benefits to cover my soon to be heart attack.
  • Sgt93
    I hear that. Putting on weight as is from this damn shoulder surgery.
  • Sgt93
    UPDATE. Looks like my buddy isn't listen to the dealer.......He is assembling it now. :)
  • Sgt93
    I think Jeff is joining the forum as well. My brother from another mother. Great guy. :)
  • Newportlocal
    That's a great pic.
  • Drphil9001
    Drphil9001 Posts: 29
    We just got a large a few weeks ago (early father's day present) and have been using it 2-3 times per week. Each time I use it I keep saying that next year for father's day the present will be an XL and a table for the XL in one side and the Large in the other...do you think I can get that for $300?? :P

Until then, I need to get a grate extender or whatever they call the second grate. :)
  • Sgt93
    That's a great pic.
    I would love to have that Deere. He has a little bigger of a yard than me though  :))
  • DIXIEDOG
    I'd settle for a sweet set of forks like that for my International or my dad's Kubota...that would be awfully handy to put in place of our front end loader buckets when I need to move big stuff.   The cab wouldn't be too shabby either.
  • Sgt93
    That cab has heat and AC. Lucky bastage he is.