Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to Big Green Egg Forum

ereed
ereed Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in Root

I just purchased my Big Green Egg last week.  Have not used it yet.  The following are several questions I have:

• I keep receiving a mesage that states "you need to confirm your email address." When I follow the instructions I never get an email in my inbox to confirm my email.
  • When I received my Big Green Egg the firebox had a perfect split down the middle.  The dealer said they are now making it that way.   is this true?
  • Beside the Plate Setter, and Ash Tool what are the other eggcessories should I purchase?   

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    1. ? really not sure, It must have registered if you can post?
    2. Mine is split with 1/8 inch gap.
    3. Most here would agree with an instant thermometer made by thermapen. There was a very recent thread about must have eggcessories, you should be able to find it on the first couple of pages here, and welcome aboard.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    My firebox is also split. All you need is a good thermometer, lots of us have the thermopen. Also make sure you calibrate your dome thermometer using boiling water and you are good to go. Don't rush into accessories, you will quickly learn what else you need/want.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    1) Are you talking about trying to register for this forum, or register your Egg on the Big Green Egg website?

2) The "split" in the firebox is, indeed, by design. Its purpose is to serve as an expansion joint, to help keep the firebox from developing stress cracks, as it gets exposed to the high-heat of the fire. Whether or not it actually helps, remains to be seen.

3) I agree with the Thermapen (http://www.thermoworks.com), as being one of the best accessories you can have.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • plankton
    plankton Posts: 3
    I recently registered with the forum and it took several days until I was granted access to the forum.  So just hand on--the registration process is slow.
  • Correct.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I'm new here too. Doing my first batch of baby back ribs right now, then some stuffed sweet and jalapeño peppers, and some chicken wings.
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    I would save your money and not buy the platesetter.

Instead look into the large adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use the plate setter at least once a week.  I'm using it with a brisket right now.  Comes in handy for me.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2012
    I use the plate setter at least once a week.  I'm using it with a brisket right now.  Comes in handy for me.
    Having an indirect cooking method is a huge plus.  Frankie was pointing out that for the investment, the OP can get a more versatile tool than the platesetter.  I use the XL woo with a pizza stone for indirect cooks, and now I can also cook raised direct or use my cast iron grid closer to the fire.  The cost of my Woo/stone combo was a little less than a platesetter.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Welcome.  The Thermopen is definitely the ticket.  By all means don't hesitate to get one.  You've already got the place setter for low and slow cooking so you are all set.  Don't worry about getting a bunch of accessories yet.  Just start cooking.  You'll figure out what you need as you go along.  You can cook almost anything with what you have now.  YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS!
  • Whoa!   I opened up the site and this message was first in the Queue.  I didn't notice that it was from back in May.  sorry guys.  I don't know how that happened.
  • Why is the Thermapen so valuable?  I assume the obvious that you can take the temp of your roast instantly?
  • I am also curious as to why the Thermapen is so popular.  Do you test your meat continually?  I thought the object was to keep the lid closed.  At the end of the cook don't you just slice the steak to see how pink it is?   Obviously I am not a serious cook, but I am trying to learn :)   It is nice to have a place where you can get some common sense tips and people are so patient.  Cheers.
  • I don't know how I missed this thread.

ereed.  Welcome !!!

As far as the Thermapen, yes, the instant read is critical.  If you like your steak medium rare, say 135, letting it go a minute too long will put it into the medium category where sissies dine.  I don't continually test it until it is nearly done, then depending on the I.T., I'll test it again when appropriate.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Yes, thermapen is a good accessory. Having had my egg for a couple of months, I can say you are going to love it. I would recommend an empty cook to play around with adjusting the temps. It is much easier to raise the temp than to lower it. Once you get the hang of it, it will hold the temp for hours. Enjoy!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • "At the end of the cook don't you just slice the steak to see how pink it is? "

Nooooooooo! Thermapen or something similar will change your life when it comes to grilling to temp. All your meals will be perfect and there will be no guess work. We use it almost every day in some capacity (inside and on the egg)
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    A must have on the Thermapen + henapple, and leave the steak knife on the dinning room table. :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    hahaha  How do these old posts get resurrected?  The OP posted a total of twice and the last time was in May.
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    I am also curious as to why the Thermapen is so popular.  Do you test your meat continually?  I thought the object was to keep the lid closed.  At the end of the cook don't you just slice the steak to see how pink it is?   Obviously I am not a serious cook, but I am trying to learn :)   It is nice to have a place where you can get some common sense tips and people are so patient.  Cheers.
    Knowing the temp without cutting is better, secondly, depending on what you are cooking the pink smoke ring might mislead some. You do keep the lid closed, just a quick open, check, close - which is why Thermapens are cherished. 

Nola - I think Wendy resurrected it when she posted this morning....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Welcome.  A BGE is like a Harley.  You are always buying something for it.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Welcome.  A BGE is like a Harley.  You are always buying something for it.

AMEN !  Just got my Vance & Hines mufflers in the mail today.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I love my thermapen as well as my digi-q
  • DMOTS
    DMOTS Posts: 29
    My firebox is also split. All you need is a good thermometer, lots of us have the thermopen. Also make sure you calibrate your dome thermometer using boiling water and you are good to go. Don't rush into accessories, you will quickly learn what else you need/want.
    ok how do you calibrate your dome
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    I am also curious as to why the Thermapen is so popular.  Do you test your meat continually?  I thought the object was to keep the lid closed.  At the end of the cook don't you just slice the steak to see how pink it is?   Obviously I am not a serious cook, but I am trying to learn :)   It is nice to have a place where you can get some common sense tips and people are so patient.  Cheers.

I think you will find that the thermapen is the most valuable tool for the egg. Here's why: Cooking on the green egg is like cooking in nothing you or most people have ever cooked in before. You learn so much about airflow and controlling temps. Well if air is passing through that makes is different that most conventional ovens. Speaking of different the eggs are insulated with spaceship ceramic, your oven is metal. That being said the only way to cook food on the egg that is sure fire not to under or over cook something is the thermapen.

Sure you at the end of the cook can just slice the steak and see what pinkness it is, but the steak houses don't do that. Most operate under the theory that the meat needs time to rest and the juices redistribute after pulling from the grill. Cutting immediately, drops the temp, ends the cooking process, and for me, leaks juice everywhere.

Do i constanly still the thermapen in and check temp? Hell, no. Just cook like normal and when you think you may be approaching the temp give it a quick check. By sight alone, which is what you have been using to tell if something is done up until this point i guarantee you can get it to within 20 degrees of doneness.

Why does it need to be instant? Well let me know how your not instant goes when you are holding your hand over an 900 degree fire to check your steak. I don't advise this, it gets hot even with a welding glove.

Is it great for long cooks? No i don't use it for my butts, ribs, or briskett. I keep the egg closed and have a maverick and guruwifi i use to monitor the temp constantly without having to open egg and check.

I even take my thermapen to guests homes when i'm bringing the meat. No telling how many i've sold for them just by people realizing how great a tool it is.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

hahaha  How do these old posts get resurrected?  The OP posted a total of twice and the last time was in May.
    Not sure...but it happened again ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I have a extra large egg and am having problems with the lid sealing tight to be able to control temps? I hav replaced the gasket twice and still no help. I have taken the hinge apart and can't seam to get it seal all the way around. It's tight in the front and have 1/8 to 3/16 gap at the back. What am I doing wrong? Love my egg but this hasbeen a problem since I got it.
  • I have a extra large egg and am having problems with the lid sealing tight to be able to control temps? I hav replaced the gasket twice and still no help. I have taken the hinge apart and can't seam to get it seal all the way around. It's tight in the front and have 1/8 to 3/16 gap at the back. What am I doing wrong? Love my egg but this hasbeen a problem since I got it.

If you could, it would be best to start a new thread with your question. This thread is really old and guys that can help you mightno look at it. make sure your issue is in the title. someone will be able to help. Sounds like your bands need to be adjusted to me.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    check out youtube... there are videos foyer aligning the egg
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN