Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Home-brew raised direct rig

twlangantwlangan Posts: 298
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been using three split firebricks sitting on my firebox ring to prop my grate up for raised direct cooking. This has been working, but has been a bit precarious since the bricks can easily fall in and the grate tended to slide around. So today I tackled this project. I cut three 7/16" dia. rods about 7" long, welded them to some strap steel to fit over the bricks, and in the center is a 3/4" nut that I drilled 7/16" holes in. I welded it all together and welded a steel tab on top the nut that the center of the grate sits on to prevent it from sliding around. This rig holds the bricks securely and keeps the grate from sliding as you are handling food on the grate. Took me about an hour to throw it together and I used scrap steel I had sitting around. Pardon my bird crap welding - never claimed to make nice looking welds, but they hold.  :)

Comments

• twlangantwlangan Posts: 298
    Well, I attached two pics - maybe they will show up later. If not, I will re-post...
  • BotchBotch Posts: 5,074
    Looking at it, if the strapping is stiff enough do you even need the bricks?  Clever idea regardless!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 298
    Good point! I think if the bricks were eliminated and just strap steel or channel iron were used, a person might want to use wider pieces to give the grate sitting on them some more stability, but it could certainly be done.