Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey, VI..

Options
SandBilly
SandBilly Posts: 227
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
My third cook on the wok and I had a decent sized area in the bottom go to bare metal. I didn't scrape it off, it peeled.

Thoughts?
Thanks

Comments

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    VI has always stated in the past to basically just "keep on keepin on". I'm not gonna speak for him because he is the Wok God! If it were me I would just re-oil and wipe her down and maybe give her a good bake on the Egg. It's possible that some of the factory oil didn't quite come off when you first got it and cleaned it. Maybe take a good brillo pad or steel wool to the spot and then oil and re-bake on the Egg. This will give it a good season on that particular spot and allow the seasoning to rebuild as you cook on it. Doesn't sound like a big deal to me. Not trying to speak for ya VI ! Just interpreting your wisdom as I have heard it from you before. Hopefully I was onpar. Forgive if this was presumptuous of me!!
    [-O<
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    Here is a link to a previous discussion about wok seasoning. Doc oiled his and then baked it in the Egg. I think that this would work for you in this circumstance. Enjoy!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1174466#Comment_1174466
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'll bump this and throw my own two cents in. I would just re season and try again.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Thanks for elevating me to "Wok God".  I thought I was only a mere chef extrodinairre. (just kidding).  I'm thinking pretty much like Nightwing said.  Don't worry about it.  Just keep on cooking and be sure to heat up the wok before putting in the cold oil, then swirl it around.  I've only resasoned once, and that was with a CI skillet that was so far gone that it needed to be taken down to metal (which was not an easy task).  You will reseason it with future cooks.

I have the same situation with my new mini-wok.  Even though Ms. Chan seasoned it for me when I bought it, my few cooks have done away with some of discoloring that the seasoning did.  I'm not concerned at all about it.  By prepping the wok before the cook, I know I'm not going to get food stuck to it, so I'll just keep cooking with it.  It will all wok out in the end (pun intended).

wok.jpg 160.3K

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Options
    Thanks fellas,
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    @ MIckey
    That is funny!
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • NightwingXP
    Options

=)) =)) =))