Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Poly or not to poly?

Options
closetoMemphisStyle
edited April 2012 in EGG Table Forum

Hi all.  first time poster.  Just got my large BGE after the 40 year old Imperial Kamado that was brought from Japan during WWII by my wife's grandfather bit the dust.  Entire bottem fell out!  Anyway, I already had a BGE style cart built by someone in Collierville, TN.  You can Google JSDesigns Collierville TN to see them.  After taking the old egg out I decided the table needed refinishing.  I put a coat of Flood UV from Wallie World on it to make it look better.  I am wondering if I should put a coat of exterior poly on it as well (or at least the top).  It stays covered when not in use so it is not a weathering issue.  I am curious if many do/have done this and what results did they have both short and long term.

Thanks,

Austin

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I am in the process of building my table and I have been advised to not polly. I was told that it will bubble and age poorly. Also was told it is not easy to sand off. I will apply a stain and or some teak oil when completed. Again I was told this so it may or may not be true.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    The UV from the sun will break down most if not all polyurethane finishes like Mike8it said but if your going to cover it all the time then it should last a long time.  Use an exterior or marine polyurethane.  Teak oil is a good alternative but you already applied Flood UV which is an exterior deck finish.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

Some ext. stains have wax in them and will not allow a finish to be applied.  One way to tell is put a few drops of water on the stained area and if the water beads then a finish will not stick.  If it does not bead you put a few coats of spar varnish on your table.  Do not use poly.