Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humphrey Lump

Options
scooter759
scooter759 Posts: 257
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I bought a bag after reading a thread on this stuff a while back. I ordered a 40# bag and have had it for several weeks. Just opened it today and wanted to share some pics and thoughts. I pretty much have only used BGE lump and Walmart Royal Oak lump. I share a lot of my cooks with my neighbors and they reciprocate by bringing me bags of BGE lump. I am a little anal and like my lump separated by size. Three categories, small, medium and large. For regular/direct or shorter cooks I use the medium on the bottom and fill the top with small and slag. For low and slow such as briskets and butts I save the large pieces and use them as a base to get those 24 + hr cook times. I was used to sorting a few pieces of large, maybe 30% of medium, and kind of threw everything else in the small. IMO, this bag of Humphrey redefined that. There was a lot of really good sized lump in that bag. Almost no slag at all. Normally my small storage container gets full and I end up with a second container of overflow. The two pics show the bag cut open and spread, the second is after I sorted.

For this bag of Humphrey, my small and medium containers were empty, and there was about a dozen pieces of large in that container. By pics, obviously they go left to right, small to large. If you can't tell by the pics, the medium container filled up the most. So much so that what I normally would have considered medium in a BGE or RO bag, some went into the small container for the Humphrey bag. I haven't cooked with this lump yet, but I was impressed with the size of the pieces in there. I do have a bag of Wicked Good that I haven't opened yet, so no comparison with that as it will be my first bag.

I haven't cooked with Humphrey yet, so can't comment on that yet.

This is just my opinion of the lump I got. Hope ya'll find it helpful.

The tape measure in the pic has 12 inches of tape extended.

imageimage
Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN

Comments

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    Okay, I am somewhat "attachment challenged", so one pic is a dupe, and the second is from a post on craigslist. If anyone is looking for an MTX car amp, please let me know.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Awesome! I ordered a pallet of Humphrey last week. It should be here on Friday. Im excited to use it. The price for the Humphrey was the same as what I am paying per pound for RO at wal mart.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I'm on my 7th cook with Humphrey's and it seems to burn faster at high temps compared to the BGE I was using.  Much smokier taste than BGE - now I don't use wood chunks for medium temp cooks because it doesn't need it. It sparks more than BGE when starting with a Looft lighter.  Also, it sparks a lot when you open the dome when doing steaks if you leave it open too long.  I love the taste it gives and it is really long lasting at low temp cooks. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I opened my 40lb. bag of Humphreys on March 19th and I'm almost out. The contents of my bag looked very similar to scooters. I agree with dlk7's comments as well regarding the sparking and natural smoke flavor I've never used Wicked Good as no one sells it down here so I can't compare it. But this stuff is pretty good!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)