Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

size matters........

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
After having a hard time lighting my lump for pizza, I cleared out my firebox. After less than a month I have more than 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket of small nuggets either from the firebox or at the bottom of my first bag of lump.
I have the charcoal grate from a Weber Smokey Joe in the bottom, so airflow shouldn't be a problem.
OK, so how small is too small for lump? 
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Here's what I do.  I save the small lumps for 3 months.  Then, I measure each one to keep or cull it.  The minimum is 1.42 inches in diameter.  As you can see, the pictured one is 1.355 inches and is destined for the boneyard.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    VI, I really *want* to believe you're joking. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Here's what I do. Open bag. Tip bag over and pour contents into egg. Light lump and enjoy. No problems yet.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Isn't today April Fools Day?  
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    Options
    OK, I wasn't taking this seriously, but I will show my wife that pic to I can have a good excuse for needing another precision tool. 

OK, I get it. Don't over think it. 
    L-)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    Options
    OK, I wasn't taking this seriously, but I will show my wife that pic to I can have a good excuse for needing another precision tool. 

OK, I get it. Don't over think it. 
    L-)
    You're a good sport, Taz.  All in fun.  I think Travis had the best answer.   :)

By the way, the caliper is for reloading ammo.  Used to set the die for the best length of the cartridge.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You're a good sport, Taz.  All in fun.  I think Travis had the best answer.   :)
    Thanks, but what am I gonna do get angry because someone pointed out I'm an overly analytic ass sometimes, most times, usually? 

Besides, a hunk of lump in a caliper is funny. 

Thanks for the reality check.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    VI,

That's funny right there! 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I know an egghead who sifts every bag of lump he buys using a series of screens to remove everything but the optimal sized lump. He said his research proves that it's easier to start and burns hotter. The smaller pieces and dust go into his garden. I think the guy is a retired engineer with lots of time on his hands,
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I know an egghead who sifts every bag of lump he buys using a series of screens to remove everything but the optimal sized lump. He said his research proves that it's easier to start and burns hotter. The smaller pieces and dust go into his garden. I think the guy is a retired engineer with lots of time on his hands,
    Wow, that's serious!
    I'm with Travis, I pour lump out until the bag is gone.  Then I open another bag and do the same thing.  It doesn't matter what I'm cooking, I do it the same way every time, and that is, to pay no attention to the size of the pieces.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Well, at least I'm not alone. I pretty much dump it and light it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Gary,

Switch the vernier to mm and you will be fine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Options

Gary,

Switch the vernier to mm and you will be fine

Steve, I don't know how that'd work.  My Egg is in English measurements.  My grid is 18 inches across, for example.  I don't think metric lumps would light in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    Options
    Wait. I thought that since the egg was made in Mexico, it was a metric space?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Metric lump works fine. You just have to talk to it in a foriegn language

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options

Steve