Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my first butt timeline - Pic intensive

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I thought id give a time line to my first pork butt cook (~6 lbs). Last night the Mrs. used our usual pork butt dry rub recipe (I beleive its from Alton Brown) so we can compare to my last verticaly smoked butt. So I'm up, as is my umbrella, its raining, the lump is loaded with a couple chunks of apple wood and was lit with the rubbing alcohol method and I'm waiting for the temp to stabilize. imageimage
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    Options
    OK, when it was at about 250  I added the the platesetter, drip pan with water, and grid in. The temp did drop about 50 degrees, so I just lowered the lid, and let the it catch back up. Now I have the bottom vent closed to about 1/8" and the top 1/2 way closed. Waiting to see where that takes the temp. image

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Here is the other star with his minder.  The cable on that poor guy has seen better days, and I just hope it holds for today. image
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    Options
    OK, the piggy is ON! But boy does it look lonely, and I can't believe my egg was the color of that plate setter. 

ok, so after I took this pic, I went back outside to make sure that the wire for my remote thermometer was over a plate setter leg. Thanks for that tip.

Wow did the temp drop when I added that (yes the thermometer is turned so when it's light out I can check from inside just knowing where the needle is),
    I'll just check it in a few, and makre sure the temp is where I want it. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    OK, so the dome temp went about 275, and I closed the bottom slightly, and the top a touch more. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Ah, that's more like it:

And the top for reference: 

The best part is that even while raining, the sun is coming up, and I can see the dome temp from inside, and check the meat temp (BTW meat at 68) where its nice and dry.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Good luck! Looks like you're on top of it.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Very informative posts! Can't wait to see the finished product! Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Anxiously awaiting "done" pics.  I think you're the first person I've seen use the actual wheel for temp control, I'll be copying you and experimenting with this in the future. 
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Great minds think a like. I got up at 6:15 and put a 6 pound boneless butt on and a 6.25 bone in butt on. I lit the grill and had the egg stabilized by 7:00. I will post some pics a bit later, time for a catnap. Good luck taz, I bet it turns out great.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Did you brine the butt like Alton Brown's recipe calls for? I have a butt in the fridge that I picked up at Costco yesterday. Trying to find the best way to season it. I plan on starting it tonight so it will be ready for dinner tomorrow evening.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Thanks all. I hope someone in the future can use this as a guide.

OK quick update: I looked out, and my dome dropped to about 200! Took out the infrared thermometer, and the grate is down to 185.
    OK by opening the top if gave it a little more air, and i started noticing somw yummy smelling whitish smoke (love apple chunks).
    I'm not sure how much time I lost with this.
    I may have to turn it up towards the end to make it for dinner.
    Although now it also looks like my remote is dead. According to my remote thermometer says the meat is at 333!
    Looks like I'm winging it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Options

Great write up and pics along the way. This will be a good teaching tool for people just starting out. Thank you.

• tazcrash
    Options
    Did you brine the butt like Alton Brown's recipe calls for? I have a butt in the fridge that I picked up at Costco yesterday. Trying to find the best way to season it. I plan on starting it tonight so it will be ready for dinner tomorrow evening.
    Unfortunately no. I was planning to follow recipes I've seen here with the yellow mustard, so I told the Mrs we didn't need to brine. But then she pulled out our old AB card.
    Anxiously awaiting "done" pics.  I think you're the first person I've seen use the actual wheel for temp control, I'll be copying you and experimenting with this in the future. 
    I don't think I could close the bottom anymore without the fire going out, and it just might have!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    ok, dome temp up to 260 again. will need to double check in a half hour to make sure it doesn't get away from me. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    @mike  good luck with yours. 
    can't wait to see those pics
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Good luck taz! Looking good so far!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    Options
    ok, so far... stable. 

bottom:

and rain protection:

Poor gasser hasn't been totally uncovered since I got the egg. It's now a work table. 

Hey Cazzy, does the table look familiar? :)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    That's funny ... my gasser is a work/storage table too.... LOL
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Mike8it
    Options
    Taz, my setup for this cook is similar to yours. I don't brine my butts just because they usually do not require any additional moisture in my opinion. I rubbed these down last night and the egg is holding steady. Looking forward to seeing how our cooks come out. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the bone in vs boneless. Hope the pics work
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Looks like some good eating in progress.

Cookin in Texas
  • tazcrash
    Options
    OK, I just did a check. Dome temp was about 270. I did a thrmapen reading, and its reading 158. I'm raising the heat, shooting for closer to 300-320
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Mike, looks good. Btw, love the custom handle aand that looks like a well work Daisy wheel top.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Mike8it
    Options
    Mike, looks good. Btw, love the custom handle aand that looks like a well work Daisy wheel top.

Thanks man, just started raining again here, dome is at 270 and just took a reading of the meat and it's 157. Shooting for dinner around 8:00. Getting ready to show my old weber kettle some love and smoke some baked beans (1st time in 4 months firing up the weber, just have to wait for the rain to stop).
  • Mike8it
    Options
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    STOP LOOKIN !!! YOUR KILLIN ME !!!!   If your lookin it ain't KOOKIN!! LOL

X_X
  • Mike8it
    Options
    Nightwing- relax my man. The egg was only opened once in 8 hours for less than 20 seconds. Unfortunately I don't have the stoker or nice dual thermometer. Maybe get those end of summer. Time for the beans to go onto the weber!
  • tazcrash
    Options
    LOL, just had to tell that one to the wife since we have no thermometer. Needless to say, the maverick is ordered.

I did an interim check at about 4, and here is what it looked like: 

with an internal temp of 176: 

No if I only could know when it's gonna be done
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    Options
    @ 5:10, I did a temp check, and t said 202!!!!! I guess getting the egg up to 375 will quicken a cook.
    OK, pulled it off, and it almost fell apart with my tongs: 

. and just tented it. while I have some red potatoes, quartered with fresh garlic, and onion with Salt, Pepper, EVOO, and paprika on the grill with indirect heat at 400.
    Think I'm going to move them to direct to speed the cook, and  crisp the outside.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    OK, I had to drop the potatoes, and speed up their cook, so i wasn't too thrilled with them. But boy was that a great pulled pork!
    I barely had to touch it to have it fall apart. The bark had nice flavor, but i think it might have been better if it had been cooked low longer. The inside was very tender and juicy. juicy.
    I can only imagine how good it might have been if things went more to plan.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    LOOKS GREAT Taz!! Sweet butt cook. Potatoes looked great too! Congrats