Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roadside Chicken

Options
BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
In my previous life, I owned a Weber Smoky Mountain and the best Forum for the Weber is The Virtual Weber Bullet site.  One of the favorite recipes on that site was for "Roadside Chicken".  Basically, the chicken you can buy down South usually cooked by the side of the road. You marinate the chicken and then also as it is cooking, you continue to douse it with more of the marinade and it continues to build the flavor. It is our favorite way to make chicken and now since I have the Egg, I thought I would try and do it there.  It was as good as any I have ever done previously.  I ended up doing bone-in with skin breasts cooking them on a raised grid with direct heat.  Temperature was in the 350-400 range and you turn frequently.  Here is the recipe with full credit to Bryan S on the other site:

ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar 
1/2 cup veg oil 
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce 
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt 
1 TBS white sugar 
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp white pepper 
1/2 tsp celery salt 
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

It really is good and my wife who will not eat the skin on Chicken normally fully agrees with me that the skin is the best part.  A couple of my kids don't like chicken at all and this one they ask for seconds.  

Here are some pics:

Chicken on the Egg after marinating for 8 hours.

About half way done 

All done.

Good stuff.  You should try it.
Clarendon Hills, IL