Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I want to be a retailer

rontho
rontho Posts: 109
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Spoke with the three local dealers here in the past few weeks....their sales knowledge were motivated by commission. Called all three again and went with the low baller. Reason, warranty doesnt change. Customer service...who knows and I hope I don't need to find out. I want to open a store here and will literally smoke (no pun intended) the competition. I'm writing this on a rant but BGE does have untapped area around here and the customers are constantly overturning (by that I mean I live by an AFB). Sorry for the rant maybe it's the beer, but I truly believe in this product. By the way for my 4th cook tonight it was pork tenderloin.......fantastic

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I take it is a rant and not serious.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Air Force Base

Gerhard
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I know, I mean what base is he close to. Hehe. I am an AF vet.
  • I'm pretty sure thing have not changed since I was in. I spent 20 years in the AF. When I was in we did not get paid all that well. I was an enlisted person from 1980-2000. I sure wasn't in a position to plop down 800-1000 on a BBQ grill. Maybe the officers would but having to move an egg with your household goods every few years is asking for trouble.

My local dealer was nice enough but I wanted an egg so the sales was more of me walking in, pointing to a large, and telling him I'll take it.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm pretty sure thing have not changed since I was in. I spent 20 years in the AF. When I was in we did not get paid all that well. I was an enlisted person from 1980-2000. I sure wasn't in a position to plop down 800-1000 on a BBQ grill. Maybe the officers would but having to move an egg with your household goods every few years is asking for trouble.

My local dealer was nice enough but I wanted an egg so the sales was more of me walking in, pointing to a large, and telling him I'll take it.
    Enlisted guy right here.(Army) I know of 3 other guys with eggs. We deploy a lot. :)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012

I'm pretty sure thing have not changed since I was in. I spent 20 years in the AF. When I was in we did not get paid all that well. I was an enlisted person from 1980-2000. I sure wasn't in a position to plop down 800-1000 on a BBQ grill. Maybe the officers would but having to move an egg with your household goods every few years is asking for trouble.

Enlisted guy right here.(Army) I know of 3 other guys with eggs. We deploy a lot. :)

Grasshopper, you (and friends) are the exception my young friend. As a norm the BGE is not an item bought in quantity around a military base (Army). Sticker Shock..... Now an AFB may be a better area than an Army base to put a dealer as AFB's are more in larger towns with higher wadges than most Army towns. At least the ones I was raised around (army brat here). As a kid we always felt like the church mouse around our buds that lived in AFB bases in large cities.

Do you want to do lunch today, I will buy (you with that Egg and baby on the way).....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Good Luck with your venture and Thank You for your service to our country! BGE in Florida are sold thru a distributor and they have not one clue about marketing or I believe about growing the brand.I have been in contact with them for over one year asking to sell Eggs and all of there accessories and have been denied each time I have managed to talk to someone there. Each time there answer is no there are too many dealers in your area already. The local dealers are a homebuilder/remodeler off the beaten path with hours of 7:00 am until 3:00 pm Monday thru Friday another is in a Flea Market/ Antique Market open on Weekends. and another at a Mini Storage business open Seven days a week but with poor inventory and a here it is attitude. At my existing business we are on a major road with a Storefront, Delivery personnel for home delivery,set-up and Table/Nest assembly. We have plenty of room to display all size eggs and all BGE accessories. Multi brands of lump,rubs,sauces,etc. Sorry for the rant ! But BGE is missing a lot of sales to the Visions Cookers in this area because the retailers do not SELL the BGE story or deliver any type of Customer Service al all.
    Pensacola,FL
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    Good Luck with your venture and Thank You for your service to our country! BGE in Florida are sold thru a distributor and they have not one clue about marketing or I believe about growing the brand.I have been in contact with them for over one year asking to sell Eggs and all of there accessories and have been denied each time I have managed to talk to someone there. Each time there answer is no there are too many dealers in your area already. The local dealers are a homebuilder/remodeler off the beaten path with hours of 7:00 am until 3:00 pm Monday thru Friday another is in a Flea Market/ Antique Market open on Weekends. and another at a Mini Storage business open Seven days a week but with poor inventory and a here it is attitude. At my existing business we are on a major road with a Storefront, Delivery personnel for home delivery,set-up and Table/Nest assembly. We have plenty of room to display all size eggs and all BGE accessories. Multi brands of lump,rubs,sauces,etc. Sorry for the rant ! But BGE is missing a lot of sales to the Visions Cookers in this area because the retailers do not SELL the BGE story or deliver any type of Customer Service al all.

Exactly. I have been in sales (commission) and understand the importance of customer service. I have had offers to represent many of products over the years and haven't accepted one offer. Reason being, if I don't 100% believe in it I would be lying to the customer. Won't happen. Sent an email to corp. and haven't heard from them. will keep all posted.