Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

High heat and the dome thermometer

yellowdogbbqyellowdogbbq Posts: 331
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was heating up my egg this weekend to cook steaks and my egg went nuclear.  Went in the house for 10 minutes and when I came out it was reading 200 F which I thought was strange because it was at 350 F when I went in.  Opened the lid and it was a ball of blue flames so I shut it quickly and flames were coming out of the daisywheel.  Does it damage the thermometer when it laps itself?  I noticed latter that it was flickering when it was cooling down.  Checked it the next day in boiling water and it was off by 10 degrees and seemed to work.  I figure it was at 1000 F.   On a side note, original felt gasket and its still fine.
·

Comments

• paulheelspaulheels Posts: 457
    stock gasket is FINE?  AMAZING!  as long as it was around 212 and you know how much off, it should be fine

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
    ·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 430
    I did the same thing. Messed with my head when I couldn't get the temp to go up, then I realized it had gone around and indicated about 250 degrees. My gasket survived also and when I calibrated the thermo it was 10 degrees off. I adjusted the nut underneath gauge and now is within a degree of 212.
    Oh, I didn't have the nerve to take a (burp) peek.
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,425
    I slide one of these in when I do high temp cooks.  First thing I do with a new egg is throw the thermometer spring clip away.  Makes it easier to switch them out and they won't fall out anyway.

http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-primo-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-5-inch-stem-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Great idea BOWHUNR. Although with a cook temp that high not sure you even really need a thermometer.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
    ·
    I did the same thing. Messed with my head when I couldn't get the temp to go up, then I realized it had gone around and indicated about 250 degrees. My gasket survived also and when I calibrated the thermo it was 10 degrees off. I adjusted the nut underneath gauge and now is within a degree of 212.
    Oh, I didn't have the nerve to take a (burp) peek.
    I slide one of these in when I do high temp cooks.  First thing I do with a new egg is throw the thermometer spring clip away.  Makes it easier to switch them out and they won't fall out anyway.

http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-primo-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-5-inch-stem-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

Mike

Is this a different teltru than the one that came with the egg?
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,425
    Yes.  It has a 200*-1000* dial.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • Thanks for the tip Mike, I'll have to buy the higher temp thermometer.  Do you have any tips on cooking a venison roast?  My friend gave me 2 large roasts and I was going to apply a dry rub then cook them @250 dome temp.  Not sure what part of the country your from but most bow hunters I know hunt deer.
    ·
  • edited March 2012

Mike

Thanks Bowhunr.  Didn't know it went to 1000*!  Just ordered one.  My orginal thermometer has condensation on the inside.  Do the TEL-TRUs typicially need to be calibrated? 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
    Thanks Bowhunr for the url. I just ordered one.
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • Great link for the new thermometer, mine is one the way as well.
    ·