Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza alla greaseproof....

Options
jay75
jay75 Posts: 153
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Well first time for everything, and a last aswell, made my first pizza tonight, one thing I won't be using for cooking pizza ever again is greaseproof paper, big mistake, stuck to it like stink on a skunk, spent ten minutes just pulling it all off, turned out pretty good after I got it all off, but I have to say seeing blue flames coming out of the top of the egg as it reached 600 was a bit unsettling! Still nothing ventured..

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Despite the issues, a good looking pie. Nice cutting board too....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

What is greaseproof paper?  From the picture it looks more like "wax-paper", if so that is the wrong thing to be using.  You want to be using parchment paper, which is usually treated with silicone.

Wax paper cannot take the heat and will lead to sticking at BGE pizza temps.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options

What is greaseproof paper?  From the picture it looks more like "wax-paper", if so that is the wrong thing to be using.  You want to be using parchment paper, which is usually treated with silicone.

Wax paper cannot take the heat and will lead to sticking at BGE pizza temps.

My thoughts exactly....
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Greaseproof paper is to my knowledge not "wax" paper, I believe it uses cellulose and has a low porosity, it is my go to baking paper. I only used it when I realized how wet home made dough is I needed to use something to get the pizza on the stone. I haven't found "parchment" paper here just yet, but will definately have to try it.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Parchment paper does not adhere to the stickiest of baked goods, like fruit fillings that boil out of pastry, so no matter how wet your pizza dough it should not stick to parchment.   Wax paper besides sticking would smoke and burn at temperatures you bake your pizza at so and will certainly affect the flavour of the dough.

Gerhard