Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

I just go an BGE

RzeancakRzeancak Posts: 170
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi all i just brought the egg!  Are there any suggestions out there to what my FIRST MEAL SHOULD BE!

There so many choices,  I alway dreamed of this day but i never thought of a menu.

please help with suggestions

thanks all 

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
Large @ Small BGE 

• Suggest chicken.  Don't go to high with the temps because the gasket needs to "cure".  Congrats and welcome to the forum.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Welcome aboard, The #1 cook is normally a SpatchCocked chicken. Play with your temps and find where your vents are.Dont get to hot the 1st few cooks.Up to about 400. Check your dome thermo in boiling water at 212 degrees. Good luck and cook it up. Must post pics
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,613
    Burgers KISS.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• BakerManBakerMan Posts: 154

The usual advice for new Eggers is cook some cheap things while you are learning to use the Egg and regulate temps.  Chicken, burgers etc. Here is my take on temp control:

If you have moved from a gasser to the Egg you are in for a treat.  No flare ups and no fiddling.  Get temp set, put the food on and relax.  It will take a few cooks before you start to trust yourself and the egg.  Enjoy!

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • paulheelspaulheels Posts: 457
    Burgers, chicken breasts bone in, wings. First long cook should butt or picnic. Easy piece of meat NOT to mess up. Lots of learning room

Paul Go there. I write it.
  • mikey5874mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Keep it simple and learn to burp the dome when your BGE is hot and little air going to it. Keep the the airflow clean. 
  • mikey5874mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Oh yeah and you will not believe the taste of the spatchcocked (butterfly, cut the backbone out) chicken.