Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Another BB Question

JefCB01JefCB01 Posts: 38
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I'm doing ribs for the first time this week...I do have the rib rack but won't be making multiple racks of ribs.  Should I use the rack or should I just lay the ribs on the grate above my drip pan?

• I vote for ditch the rib rack and just use your cooking grid. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,689
    Yeah, I go grid unless I have several racks then the rack comes out. Much easier to baste (if you are using a finishing sauce) when they are laying flat.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I did one rack two nights ago and used the rack.  I like how the ribs sit in it.  
  • Thanks for the feedback.  Follow up question...what do I put in the drip pan and do I spray the ribs during the cook?
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I don't put anything in the drip pan and I don't spray.  My preference, but I never saw a real benefit.  I have seen people spray that frozen concentrated apple juice cans to get a better crust, but not sure it works or not - but supposedly the high sugar concentration helps.