Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

butt injection recipe anyone?

smokinsoonersmokinsooner Posts: 161
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking about 35lbs of pork shoulder next week, and could use a good injection concoction! (A lot of it too)
Also, for the pork experts... Will I need to rotate butts on an AR? (top to bottom). Will cook time be longer than cooking just on the bottom grid w/ a plate setter?
Thanks on advance for the advice!
BOOMER!
·

Comments

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101

Lots of folks use apple juice with or without a fine ground rub.

I like to mix apple juice with either mango or peach juice for mine.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • Careful that any spices you add don't clog your injection needle. Pepper is bad unless you have a lg industrial injector. Below is Chris Lilly's recipe and his record speaks for itself. This is for one 8# butt, I suck up what oozes out and keep reinjecting until it's all in. I've seen him do it and more is better than less.
    3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 c water
    1/2 c sugar- white
    1/4 c table salt
    2 tbsp Worcester sauce
    Combine and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
    Roll Tide Roll!
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Is it a good quality pork butt? If yes, then don't worry about an injection, just give a rub and it will be fine.  Like butter when the temp hits 200 or so.  I don't think injections do anything if you have a nice quality of meat.    
    ·