Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock turkey and hickory chips question

Options
gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
After enjoying several successful chickens, I've decided to cook a larger bird.

I'm planning on 375-400 for 1.5 hours or so, raised and direct heat.  I know - I'll base length of cook on internal temp, not time.

My question is, will hickory chunks help or hurt this bird?  I love the hickory flavor, but wonder if 1.5 hours is enough time to taste the difference.

Also, do y'all put a rub/spices on beneath the skin or on top of skin, or both?

A success tonight will lead to many happy family meals.

Comments

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I did my first spatchcock chicken last night and it was great!  Followed the Naked Whiz' directions; a raised grid with direct heat at 375.  Temp floated to 410 but I stuck around and played with it finally settling at 375.  It took 1 hr and 10 min.  Covered it with foil and let rest for 10 min while I grilled up some veggies.  I used apple and cherry chips and rubbed inside and out with Montreal Steak Rub.  It still tasted liked roasted chicken with just a hint of the smoke from the lump and chips.  I would suggest that if you like hickory flavour go with it.  When I first started egging last year, I was a fussbudget until I read a post somewhere where the advice was, "it's BBQ, it's supposed to be fun, so go with it."   I would caution you though 1.5hrs might result in overcooked bird so I would suggest you might want to drop the temp to 300-350 if you still want to go that length of time.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    1.5 hours is to be expected for a turkey. I would go light on the smoke if you go hickory, or any wood for that matter. It's easy to overdo it with poultry....it picks up the smoke flavor pretty easily.
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    gooddogjudge, I did one about a week ago but I did it raised indirect at 400. I used hickory also, I think it took about 1.5 hours. It was a little overdone.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Bakeman- stick a thermometer in that sucker so you know when to pull it so it's not overdone. Cook to temp, not time. 1.5 hours is a guide, but start checking before that if not using a remote probe setup of some kind.
  • Bakeman
    Options
    It got away from me that night, the buds were tasting mighty fine.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Lol...I know the feeling!
  • troutgeek
    Options
    ... and I would go with a fruit wood (I love apple) or pecan.  Hickory is a bit heavy.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do this cook a lot. I would not use HICKORY. I like to mix a small (SMALL) amount of cherry and pecan togather. To me the hickory is to strong. Once more, small amount.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bakeman
    Options
    I need a thermo pen that is next on my list.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mr Bakeman that needs to come std eqt with an egg. It is the most (IMO) accy you can have.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.