Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First stir fry on the BGE

Options
Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well after all the talk about stir fry the past few weeks I decided to give it a try tonight. All in all it was a pretty successful cook. I made a basic chicken vegetable stir fry and a chicken fried rice using seasoning packets from ww. It definitely wasn't as easy as Village Idiot makes it look, but I had a blast doing it. I still need some practice and I did have some sticking at times, like when I tried to add the eggs in for the fried rice. Any tricks for this? How do you know the wok is hot enough? Can it get too hot? I had the wok setup on the regular grate and it was hot enough to char the wooden handles.
Also, the seasoning on the wok looks to have been scraped off in spots from the wok spoon, is this normal? Anyway, here is a pic of the cook. Ingredients were chicken,
broccoli, snow peas, mushrooms, carrots, onion, celery. Browned chicken, added veggies, then added the seasoning packet mixed with soy sauce, sugar and water per instructions. Thickens after a minute or so.
Pretty good. Sorry for the choppy post, did this in a hurry.
Thanks
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Gato, congratulations !  You're on your way.

Don't worry too much about having a little food sticking.  From the picture, your wok doesn't seem to be completely seasoned yet.  It will turn totally black after a few cooks and become more non-stick.  Also, make sure to get the wok hot and then pour in your oil and swirl it around.  The non-scientific explanation is that getting the wok hot will open the pores in the metal and then the oil will fill the pores to make it non-stick.

If you do get some sticking, take a bamboo brush and try to brush it off as much as you can.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JerkChicken
    Options
    I've found, generally speaking, your wok is hot enough when you begin to see a little smoke start to come off, then add the oil, swirl, then add the food. If your not sure, just throw a little piece of veggie on there and see what it does. It should instantly start frying.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47