Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regional Specialties on the Egg

Options
Tank_NZ
Tank_NZ Posts: 53
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
One of the things that got me interested in BBQ'ing (as opposed to grilling) was Pulled Pork that I had when in Florida on business.

I had never had it before and was told that it is a "Southern Specialty" ( I don't know if it is or not) - its just I hadn't had it before - but damm I liked it.

Do you guys have some dishes that you cook that are kind of "Geographic" to your region?

The closest that I have done on the Egg is smoked Kawhai pie - (posted on the old forum - so apologies for the duplicate):

Kawahi is a local fish that is very easy to get and taste fantastic smoked

So - whats your "local" dish?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Our only "local" dish is green jello, and, um...  :(

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GreenhawK
    Options
    Well, I am in North Alabama, and yes pulled pork is a specialty here.  Also ribs are a big one.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    As you move westward, beef takes over.  Most BBQ joints in Texas don't serve pulled pork.  Brisket is the mainstay.  Pork is only featured in link sausage and ribs.  Also, there is a Mexican influence (Tex-Mex), like fajitas, migas, quesadillas, and frijoles.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Options

Tank,

Morning! I saw a fish pie made by an Aus guy on how 2 heroes. Looked awesome!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Holy crap, VI, those pics look perfect.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Stike !  That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.  Thanks !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Well, looks like the old Tweeve is back.  [-(

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options

Village Idot, I live in western NC and boston butts & baby back ribs are the norm. However, I drive a truck coast to coast and I love Texas Bbq your brisket pics look wonderful. When I decide to cook one I will be begging you for your recipe. Thanks,Gary

Lenoir, N.C.
  • Village Idiot
    edited February 2012
    Options
    OK, Tweeve.  Just write me an apology on the back of a crisp, new $20 bill, then mail it to me, and I'll forget about it.   :-))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options

Village Idot, I live in western NC and boston butts & baby back ribs are the norm. However, I drive a truck coast to coast and I love Texas Bbq your brisket pics look wonderful. When I decide to cook one I will be begging you for your recipe. Thanks,Gary

I'll be glad to help, Piney, but there are far better brisket smokers here than I am, and they will be more than happy to help too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    Options
    Gary, are those migas? Sp?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    In St Louis it's pork steaks. It's just pork butt sliced into steaks and every bit as good in a shorter period of time. Think, soft pork chops.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    In Rochester, NY the GARBAGE PLATE is the specialty dish.  I suppose you could cook some of the dozens or so items that it consists of on the BGE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots

• Flamethrower
    Options
    I know in my neck of the woods in Calif.during the Summer it's Tri-Tip, Dut now with the XLBGE, Its hard to make up my mind on what to cook cause there are so many posiblilties.
    LET'S EAT
  • Village Idiot
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Gary, are those migas? Sp?
    Yes, Travis. The second picture is migas.  You didn't ask for it, but here's my recipe for them.

1 Tomato , seeded and chopped
    1 or 2 Serrano chiles, or jalapenos, seeded and veined
    Mexican Chorizo
    1 bunch Cilantro
    ½ Onion , minced
    6 Corn tortillas
    6 Eggs
    6 Flour tortillas
    1 Bell pepper, chopped (optional)
    Cheese, Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, etc.
    Milk, or 1/2 and 1/2 for eggs
    Peanut Oil

1.All ingredient amounts are flexible. Add what you want.
    2.Seed and chop tomatoes, chop onions, bell pepper, chiles, and cilantro. Set aside.
    3.Fry chorizo, drain, and set aside.
    4.Heat peanut oil in wok and fry corn tortillas. Can be anywhere from limp to crisp. Cut tortillas into strips, about 1 " wide, 1 " long. Set aside.
    5.Scramble eggs in medium bowl with milk or cream.
    6.Add veggies, and stir fry until tender. Add eggs and cook until almost done. Then add cheese, tortilla strips and chorizo.
    7.Heat flour tortillas.
    8.Assemble. Serve with salsa, refried beans, guacamole, etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    In St Louis it's pork steaks. It's just pork butt sliced into steaks and every bit as good in a shorter period of time. Think, soft pork chops.

You beat me to it.  Going to have to do some pork steaks soon...I have been doing a lot of chicken lately.
  • paulheels
    Options
    If it aint pork, it aint BBQ.  Except for TX brisket.  heyyyo!!!

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • We chop the butt where I'm from in NC. The key is to chop the fat & bark with the meat. As you can imagine, it's absolutely full of flavor.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• paulheels
    Options
    OLD NORTH, where you at in NC?  I chop the bark, pull the rest, then mix.. But dont mess with the Status quo in NC,  do as they say, or you wont sell, shiz

Spent six years in Chapel Hill.  Still have family there.

Paul
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    October to May it's stone crab season in Florida and its my favorite good eats. It's the easiest meal to fix - crack, dip, and eat.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Also in NC and smoked pork is the deal. It's all about the vinegar for me.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I was born and raised in Greensboro, but had to move to Virginia for the job in 2004. I know Chapel Hill pretty well. I may be a BBQ snob, but BBQ is pretty terrible here in VA. (except at my house).

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• paulheels
    Options
    Got ya. I think the same about the area in in now. BBQ not cooked on wood in restaurants here.
  • Most restaurants in VA typicially pressure cook or crock pot their butts. The sauce is pretty tangy too. Just all around disappointing. There are a few exceptions, but nothing beats the BBQ I make on the egg. The only place that truly served NC style BBQ went out of business a few years ago. People just don't have a clue what good food is supposed to taste like up here.

Med & XL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    In Texas, it would be brisket, but I that's also pretty general. Obviously the farther south you go, the more Tex-Mex plays into it (fajitas and such), along with wild game (ie venison, hog, javelina and even cabrito). East Texas actually does a lot of pork, but mainly ribs, I think. And, of course, they have their Pittsburg Hot Links. Get down to the coast and seafood starts popping up. So I guess we're all over the place, but outsiders tend to think brisket when they think Texas.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Here in eastern NC it's all about pulled pork and a good vinegar sauce!!! Have to have collards cooked with a ham hock as a side.
  • waegger
    Options
    In Washington st we cook alot of salmon, especially in summer when fresh local or from Alaska.
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Village and Griffin:

You guys are not leaving anything for me to post! Mexico is on my side of the River!:)
    At least give me some time so my XL arrives!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I envy you guys with your traditional dishes. Other than hot dogs, the best of my childhood cook out meals is gone. Notice I said cook out. BBQ, real BBQ was pretty much unknown. Ribs went with sauerkraut and dumplings. Brisket got braised, and served in gravy, if you could find it. BBQ was the stuff that you poured Hunt's sauce over. Y'know, like pan fried ground beef.

What we had was fish. The fish fries were great. Lake perch by the bucket. Steelhead and smoked chubs, yum. Pretty much gone now. The great lake first got lampreys, then alewives, then zebra mussels, and worse, quagga mussels. Not much of anything left. And don't eat anything from the rivers. Not that there are any sturgeon left, and the attempts to get salmon to run  have failed for about 40 years.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    yes, once you cross the NC/VA border the Q goes down hill quickly.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC