Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice please to make burnt ends!

Options
texves
texves Posts: 17
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to remove the point and attempt burnt ends for the first time.  I've seen different ways to do it. 

The advice I'd like is do I wrap the entire brisket first and rest it prior to removing the point, or remove the point right away?

Do I put the in tact point back on for a couple of hours, remove it, then back on the egg cubed up, or do I cube it up and put it back on straight away?

Thanks!

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

@texves

Put the point back in the cooker for another 3-4 hours to add more smoke and cook it even further. Then you can take it from the cooker, chop it, place it in a pan, add some sauce, and return it to the cooker for about another 30 minutes to add even more smoke. You can then use burnt ends to make sandwiches on cheap hamburger buns. So says Naked Whiz recipe.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • texves
    Options
    Thanks @billyray, but do I take the point off immediately after removing the brisket, or do I let it rest (and how long) before removing the point?
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I did it two weeks ago, and cut the point off immediately, chopped it, put more cow lick on it, and bbq sauce.  Back on the egg for a few hours.  Not sure this is exactly how to do it, but it worked for me.  
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

@texves

The Whiz says take the point off when you are ready to pull the whole thing @ 205 or so. Then put the point right back on for the 3-4 hours, then chop, sauce and put back for another 30 minutes.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Yes, that is what I meant.  I cooked the whole packer to 198 and then took the point off so I could do everything above.  
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I just seperated and put the point back on   :-bd
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • texves
    Options
    Wow.  I can't even describe here how amazing burnt ends are.  This was my first time and I was able to pull the point off after 1 minute of working it with the back of the knife.   I trimmed off the thick fat and chopped the rest immediately and put it in a disposable aluminum pan with 2 TBS of my rub and 2 TBS of BBQ sauce, then I put it back on for 3 hours at 230.  The burnt ends went 10x faster than the lean brisket slices.  I will NEVER cook a brisket without doing burnt ends.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I agree with Texves. Burnt ends will be made every time I do a brisket. 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I just seperated and put the point back on   :-bd

Travis, did you chop the point - or put it on intact?

Cookin in Texas
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I put it on whole for 3 hrs. Then I chopped and added Q sauce and then did another 30 min. 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Reason I was asking - next brisket I do - going to try doing some beans with it.   Used to eat at a place in Lousianna, they would cook their beans underneath the brisket.   Was debating between chopping a bit of the point after pulling and putting in the beans - or - putting the beans on the plate setter below the point while it cooks an additional couple of hours.

Anyone done this?  How did it work out?

Cookin in Texas
  • travisstrick
    Options
    My point dripped a few spoons full of heaven when I did it. 

The whole brisket dripped a ton. I would only do it with the point.