Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

quick advice needed

Options
Hi54putty
Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 butts (8 pounds each) in the home stretch. I am getting very inconsistent reading in both of the butts. Never worried about this before, just stuck the Maverick probe in and took it off at 195. I guess I am paying more attention since I only have 1 probe for 2 pieces of meat.  

Using the Thermapen, I am getting readings that vary from 175 to 196 in both pieces. Thermapen and Maverick read the same when they are beside each other. I am going to cooler them for about 5 hours so I figure I have a little wiggle room on the temps. 

I moved the Maverick 3 inches on the larger piece (same thickness) and it went from 196 to 183. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

Also accidentally bought without the bone so that doesn't help me. 
XL,L,S 
Winston-Salem, NC 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Just see if the bone is ready to pull out without any resistance. Foil and rest and any bits are not up to a certain temp will get up there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hi54putty
    Options
    thanks, no bone unfortunately but that's what I was thinking. They look ready. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Two pieces of meat, exactly the same size wont necessarily cook through the stall the same.  
    Cookin in Texas
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    the temps were all within the same piece of meat. separate but equal problems with both pieces. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    Something that can make a difference is the fat content of each part of the butt. Fat will warm up faster than dense meat. That's why a butt doesn't even have to be thawed before you cook it. There's so much fat in most of it the heat transfers through it rather quickly. Another thing is if there is an air pocket in the middle of the butt. Like the gap between the platesetter and a pizza stone the heat won't tranfer as efficiantly across an air pocket at it will meat. You want the coolest part of the meat to be pullable. It doesn't matter if some of the butt gets up to 205 degrees. The other thing is that a 190 degree piece of meat will not cook itself up to 200 in a cooler no matter how long you keep it in there.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @ stilllaughing - excellent bit of heat transfer knowledge with that last sentence.  Been in too many conversations about that subject and some just don't get it. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Stilllaughing, how much longer does it take to cook a butt from the frozen state?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • stilllaughing
    Options

@GrannyX4,

Probably no longer than 1/2 hr to an hour if at all. When I get butts from a supplier they usually come with multiple 2-packs. Many times the ones in the center of the case are frozen while some of the ones on the outside are thawed. They all go on together and the ones that were frozen get done at the same time as the rest of them. There are many occasions that people will put two thawed butts on and they each hit temp an hour or more apart. Because there is so much fat in them they soften up quite quickly. The same can be done with ribs. We put them on case at a time and the frozen ones get done at the same time as the thawed ones. I've also seen it done with brisket.

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Thanks. I never thought to put frozen food on the egg but I will now.
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    Don't try it with poultry. You're asking for trouble and bad food if you do.
  • paulheels
    Options
    Don't try it with poultry. You're asking for trouble and bad food if you do.
    Yep, no poultry! Good call @stilllaughing
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    Thanks Stilllaughing. That is very good to know. Especially with 2 small children always needing daddy for something.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Ok. Thanks for the heads up.