Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

quick advice needed

Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,318
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 butts (8 pounds each) in the home stretch. I am getting very inconsistent reading in both of the butts. Never worried about this before, just stuck the Maverick probe in and took it off at 195. I guess I am paying more attention since I only have 1 probe for 2 pieces of meat.  

Using the Thermapen, I am getting readings that vary from 175 to 196 in both pieces. Thermapen and Maverick read the same when they are beside each other. I am going to cooler them for about 5 hours so I figure I have a little wiggle room on the temps. 

I moved the Maverick 3 inches on the larger piece (same thickness) and it went from 196 to 183. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

Also accidentally bought without the bone so that doesn't help me. 

Comments