Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upgrades for BGE

Options
brad11140
brad11140 Posts: 44
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004XU1FES

I have heard someone else on here mentioning an upgraded fire grate. Are there any other upgrades I should consider?

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Options
    That is the one most folks here go with if they are upgrading/changing their fire grate.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Put in Large, Small, & Mini and ordered for another Large. They work. The other on the market is a Turbo Grate tall deal and I gave mine away.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• brad11140
    Options
    I ordered one. @Mickey, have you tried using the balled up newspaper lighting method they mention on their site
  • Mickey
    Options
    No. This just works so much faster. But now  I only use a Mapp on the Mini (don't ask):
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Need that High Que to come out for the XL...
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I haven't measured my grate, but do you know if the replacement charcoal grate for either the weber 18" or 22" kettle would fit?  That would be an inexpensive upgrade.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Mickey-
    It seems like a lot of charcoal would fall through that before it burned. Have you noticed that being an issue?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mickey-
    It seems like a lot of charcoal would fall through that before it burned. Have you noticed that being an issue?

That was my initial thought too.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Options
    No, a few after cooling is left (very few). The ones you are thinking about that can fall just keep buring on lower in the egg.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have them on both my larges and my small.  Get one and throw your wiggle rod away!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Options
    Bowhunr I turned both my LawnRanger wiggle rods into a Large and a Mini ash tool by adding an L-shape bracket to the end of it. Now my ashtools are LawnRanger handled. Like you say: no need for a wiggle rod.

• KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    edited February 2012
    Options
    have you tried using the balled up newspaper lighting method they mention on their sit

@brad11140 I just got one recently, used the newspaper under the grate. Heats up quicker than the squares, but it did leave newspaper ashes behind - i think i balled it up too thick (used too many papers.)

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    i've got the high que in my medium and love it, bought it off amazon with the nomex gasket. Both came from high q  and both were elligible for amazon prime, can't beat it!
  • mizeatl
    Options
    I have the high que for my large egg and just started using it. It seems like temperature control is much easier and stays put. I don't think it's my imagination.
  • I have one in both of my larges and love it. Heats up quickly!
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • brad11140
    Options

Cool deal. Just got an email that its on its way. Curious to see the difference. I passed on the nomex gasket for now. My egg is brand new so I figure Ill wait till I need it.

• Mickey
    Options

Cool deal. Just got an email that its on its way. Curious to see the difference. I passed on the nomex gasket for now. My egg is brand new so I figure Ill wait till I need it.

Good, you can order in the morning ((just kidding)), The next afternoon........

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I got my high que this past Tuesday. Have used it for three cooks. Some small pieces of lump fell through on first cook and I just put them on top of the lump for the second cook. Last night I used wicked good for a pizza. Used two pieces of newspaper with a few drops of vegetable oil, wadded it up into a ball, lit it and had 600 degree dome temp in 15 minutes. From what I have read WG is supposed to be more difficult to light and I had no problem. I really like this grate much more than the original equipment.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Big Green Egg Samll cooking grate is the correct size for the XL, and cheaper.

Not sure why you would want more air flow on the XL though, it already has much more than any other size Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA