Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Are the digi Q prope wires waterproof

BakemanBakeman Posts: 113
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing a low and slow cook Tom. They are calling for rain all day just wondering about the probe wires.
·

Comments

• Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,161
    You should be fine. I've done many cooks in in rain and snow and never had any problems with
    the wires of my digi q. I do cover the main unit with a plastic baggie
    and use a rubber band to keep it from blowing off.
    ·
  • BakemanBakeman Posts: 113
    Thanks Hungry Joe. I am fairly new to this I just wasn't sure if it would hurt it or not.
    ·
  • No issue with rain and wires, I have had them in a down pour for hours but DO wrap the unit... lots and lots of posts about the unit getting fried by rain.
    ·
  • What about keeping the Pit Viper fan from the rain...Will the rain hurt it? Any suggestions?
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,161
    edited January 2012

I can't say I ever remember seeing a unit being fried by rain but I
    guess it could happen especially if water got in where the plugs connect
    to the digi q. That is why I use plastic bags to protect everything. I
    also have made a tent from aluminum to protect the fan but skipped that
    step the last couple of cooks and haven't had any problems.

I do see posts of wires being damaged from high heat. My unit is older but the newer ones have upgraded wires with a higher heat rating.

·