Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

To soak or not to soak?? (chips and chunks)

LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
edited January 2012 in Root

Newbie here,

Still confused on this one.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I did search the topic before posting

Comments

• ShiffShiff Posts: 1,351
    I only  use chunks and do not soak them.  They smoke just fine without soaking,
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • Chunky no soaky
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Any wood, any size or shape. Soaking not required
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • So why are you soaking the wood at the bottom of all your posts :-)

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,408
    Fie, fie on thee strumpet.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ribmasterribmaster Posts: 209

If you got wood(any size) on heat it will burn when dry. Cut the air supply(lid down) and it will smoke.

Chips will burn faster. Soaking delays the smoke until it dries out, but you get the same smoke regardless.

Soaking hurts nothing but seems to be a waste of time with the egg.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • ....but but but tweev from an earlier post today
    "
    So how to do you get the best smoke ring? Opinions vary. 
    Generally water soaked wood produces more nitrogen dioxide loaded smoke. " 
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
    I had some chunks catch on fire, due to a way too hot fire. I'm learning, slow and low. Thanks for all the help.