Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Ribeye

Options
btrouge
btrouge Posts: 7
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a whole ribeye at 350 degrees direct heat. I turned it every 30 minutes taking if off after two hours and a temp of 165 degrees. It was a perfect med. rare. 

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Hmm....something doesn't add up. Mid rare for beef is 130ish...165 is very well done. Thermometer calibrated?
  • btrouge
    Options
    Yes they are. I think what happen was, I was using a button steak thermometer and it was in on an angle. So it was reading more of an outer temp than internal temp.But luck have med. rare was what I was wanting.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Glad it turned out for you but 165* is jerky!  For medium rare I pull mine at 125*.  If it doesn't taste like a nose bleed it's too done!! :D

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Truth is funny ... thanks for the chuckle!  :D
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Cooked a whole ribeye at 350 degrees direct heat. I turned it every 30 minutes taking if off after two hours and a temp of 165 degrees. It was a perfect med. rare. 

I'm glad that turned out good for you.  Maybe next time you could try this method.  There is no flipping necessary, you get consistant results and it's very simple.

Set egg up for an indirect cook, yes indirect.  slather with yellow mustard & Worcestershire.  Apply a decent coat of garlic pepper & kosher salt or whatever rub you like.  Set Egg for 400-450.  Place roast on Egg and adjust vents so the temp will drop to 250 which will be your temp throughout your cook.  This time will sear your roast and give it nice color and texture.  Cook indirect until internal temp is 5-7 degrees below your target.   Pull roast & let sit for 15 minutes.  I pull mine at 125-128 for medium rare since medium rare is 135.  I'd rather be a little below than a little above.

There are many ways to Egg these but I've found this to be very simple and difficult to mess up.

Keep posting pics!

Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    btrouge - - - Would you please buy me a Powerball ticket this week because you are the luckiest man alive.

My advice:  Invest a few dollars in a good instant read digital thermometer so you can accurately measure internal temps.  It will make you a much happier and successful egg chef.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    only thing i might suggest is also trying the rib eye indirect, and at lower temps.  direct grilling a roast is like grilling a very thick steak.  you will get the 'right' temp you want, but only in the vrey middle.  if you cook it direct, and it's very thick, you'll end up with a lot of overdone meat surrounding the ideal core temp you were after.  it's one way to cook, and not 'wrong'.  but i find i get WAY more meat at my ideal temp, with very little overdone exterior, if the heat is gentle and applied for longer.

if you like medium rare, imagine a roast that is medium rare all the way across, with an eighth inch of grey, rather than a small center of medium rare surrounded by a lot of grey.

you'll still get a crust, and you won't risk any burnt fat, too.

try a leave-in probe thermometer, too.  one without a dial (because those need to be positioned to be seen, and that's usually not a good temp reading.  the leave-in kind can be slid lengthwise into the meat dead center.  that way you know you aren't shy of the center or poking out the other side of center(both readings too high)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    Well stated stike. 

I did an indirect 12 lb rib roast for Christmas and it turned out exactly like you described - deep pink all the way through with a relatively thin ring of gray/brown around the edge.  Beautiful.  My guests were amazed. 

I stuck two probes into that thing at different points in the center and it was fun to watch those probes register temps within 1-2 degrees of each other all the way through the cook.  One really shouldn't screw this up with reasonable attention paid to the monitors.  I set them both to alarm at 123 and they both went off within 3-5 minutes of each other.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • btrouge
    Options
    Thanks guy for all the input. By the way I do have a instant read digital thermometer. Was to lazy to go inside to get it. Grab what was close.