Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lo Temp Smoke

Options
bridepr
bridepr Posts: 0
edited December 2011 in Root
I can keep my bge at 220-230 but I can't make smoke for more than 45 mins. I've tried chunks & chips. Any ideas?

Comments

• bluegrasstiger
    Options
    I would guess that you mean you don't get the white, billowy smoke after 45 mins...You're still getting smoke as long as there are wood chips, chunks, etc in the fire...the smoke has just changed to "thin, blue smoke" as they call it.  Most would say that the thin blue smoke is where you want to cook...sometimes the white billowy smoke can have a very strong flavor/taste.
  • stevesails
    Options

as i understand it.  just because you dont see smoke from your smoking wood, doesn't mean you are not imparting the smoke taste into the meat/food.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Its also said that most of the smoke flavor is absorbed by the food early on in the cook.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Baysidebob
    Options
    When I get frustrated with no smoke I reach down with a poker and knock the wood chunks into the center of the fire.  It seems the wood smokes more but burns cooler so it takes some fooling around to keep the temp proper.  The BGE is so efficient wood chunks and chips are often converted to charcoal.  It's one more step on the learning curve and everyone takes that step their own way.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

The next time you think there is no smoke hold your hand over the vent for about 30 seconds and then give it a sniff. You will be surprised how much smoke is being generated. Adding different smoking chips or chunks will flavor you cooks differently.