Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

V Rib Rack

bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Besides ribs, is there anything i can do with the rack that i cannot do otherwise?
Large BGE Dallas, TX
·

Comments

• joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    I use my V-Rack for all my pork butts and roasts to elevate them off the grate to use a drip-pan.  I also saw an interesting thread recently where someone draped a very large brisket over a v-rack so that it would fit in the grill...I thought that was a great idea.

·
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    Whats the difference from that and just putting the drip-pan under the grate on the plate setter? 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    Its pretty much the same thing...I just figure since I have one - I might as well use it.

·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,161

The drippings can burn if the drip pan is set directly on the plate
    setter and give a harsh taste. I use 4 stacks of three pennies at the
    corners to create an air space which stop the drippings from burning. I
    also line my drip pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup.

·
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    I usually put the three green feet below my drip pans.  It is a little high, but i just trim the drip pan with my tin-snips.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
  • I usually put the three green feet below my drip pans.  It is a little high, but i just trim the drip pan with my tin-snips.  
    That's a cool idea.  I like to use the strained leftover drippings to add a little back to pulled pork so I don't want it to burn.  I also know that I have to check a couple of times over 12 hours to make sure there is still plenty of apple juice or water in the drip pan.  I had the drip pan contents burn a couple of time and the smell is nasty.
    ·