Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Dry-aging Info

Options
tfoutch
tfoutch Posts: 76
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Here is a good article on dry-aging with some research cited.  Published from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association research group. 

http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry%20Aging%20of%20Beef.pdf

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited December 2011
    Options
    @tweev

read it.  long time ago.

no advantages for the home ager other than w/r/t microbial spoilage, which however is easily controllable even in a non-commercial environment. 

as for higher yield, well, higher yield means less drying.  yet drying is the purpose of dry aging (one of them).  in a commercial environment, aging something for 21 days, and selling it as "21-day dry aged" while actually slowing drying to the point that it is less condensed, (that is, not as dry as true 21 day aged beef would actually be), is a way of selling more meat under the 21-day label, while delivering (say) 14 day weight. translation: higher profit.  not better product.  a 21-day bagged subprimal is less dense (and we are after condensing when we dry age) than its unbagged counterpart.

humidity, and its effect on drying, is in fact a quality issue, not safety issue.  among those who dry age commercially, it is a point of debate whether to dry in a more humid environment or less.  this is the same consideration being hinted at with bagged vs non-bagged.  initially, un-bagged beef dries more quickly than the bagged.  at the end of longer periods though, say 45 days or so for argument's sake, there's a reversal of fortunes and the drybagged beef dries relatively more quickly than the un-bagged.  for reasons i am sure you are aware of and which need not even be mentioned.

for the home dry-ager, the value of the dry-bags remains (to me) unproven, other than the 'wife factor', which is variable. the expense (for the bags and proprietary sealing machine) is a known, however.  and luckily, my wife has no such qualms or arbitrary demands when it comes to dry-aging

thanks for your cut-n-paste

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • paulheels
    Options
    I love reading your posts Stike, always full of great information, and eloquently stated.  
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Paul,

Don't get caught up in his schtick. He really is quite an idiot

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paulheels
    Options
    LS, idiot is a big word, just like never is a long time.  One of my talents is discrimination of informative information where as disinformation is deciphered as logic.  I can discern between good info and the back end of a possums hiney.  haha

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think you are alright

Steve 

Caledon, ON