Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

9 Racks of Baby Backs on Large BGE

bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,161
edited December 2011 in Pork

I get to make 9 racks of ribs for our company Christmas party this Saturday. I plan on following Car Wash Mike's method using Famous Dave's rib rub (I have some Willingham's Original ordered but I don't think I will have it in time). I plan on putting three racks flat on the main grill and setting a second level with a rib rack on it with six racks on it. I will also put a foil turkey pan under the main grill to catch any drippings.

I have hickory or mesquite for wood to add but I'm not sure what one to use. About 250° and bone side down until done.

Any suggestions?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• You got any cherry wood? I'd use hickory over mesquite but would get some cherry or apple if you can.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,161
    I have maybe three more pieces of cherry. Should I run to a few stores Friday night to find some cherry?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• I would if it's fairly close. 9 racks of ribs is a lot. I'd make sure they came out great
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102

Stay away from the mesquite for sure ... any of the fruitwoods are good ... my personal fave is pecan for ribs.

Take some pix ... I'd love to see 9 racks on a large ... :)

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Thanks.

I go to Menards for my supplies. I live in Minnesota and most stores don't have anything until spring. Any large retail stores that I should look at?

Big Lake, Minnesota

I went to Home Depot and picked up a bag of Cowboy and a bag of cherry chunks. I can use Cowboy, Frontier or Royal Oak Steakhouse. Any sugestions?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• I use Royal Oak 100% of the time. I have used Frontier a few times. I think it sparks a lot at high temps but does fine for low and slow.

I agree with Squeezy about mesquite. Ive never heard of anyone using it for ribs. I prefer cherry. Im sure pecan would be good as well

I would also like to see a pic of 9 racks on a large. I have an adjustable rig with grid extender and my max is 6.
    I didn't get the double racks done (I'm trying to find out how much spacing is between each upright) but this is what I'm working on. I will post photos of the ribs on Saturday.

Big Lake, Minnesota

What am I missing? I tried to attach an image of my double rib rack (224 kb) and I get the 'uploading image' for several minutes. I just gave up.

Big Lake, Minnesota

Just closed the lid to 9 racks (18" long) of baby backs on my large egg.

Big Lake, Minnesota

We need pix ... no pix .... didn't happen!
    edited December 2011

Go up a few posts and see I can't get pics to post. Can I email them to someone and have them post?

235° within 15 minutes and hasn't changed after. I'm using Royal Oak Steakhouse and my Willingham's Original rub showed up in time.

Big Lake, Minnesota

How did you try and upload?
    Below the message box is a "attach a file" link. I click that, I browse to my photo, select and it has "uploading" and will never finish.

Big Lake, Minnesota

edited December 2011
    You need to upload to something like Photobucket and copy & paste the URL to the icon that looks like a monitor. When you pass your mouse over it, it says insert image.
    edited December 2011

See if this works. I should have my doube 6 rack so i can do 12 racks in the future and also images of the current 9 racks

Big Lake, Minnesota

So of the 5 choices with photobucket (email, direct link, html code, img code, img thumb, what text do you copy? Do you edit the text after pasting?

Big Lake, Minnesota

edited December 2011

By jove ... I think you've got it!

Good job!

I use direct link

And with the pics, it did happen.....

Big Lake, Minnesota

• That is awesome! Nice work. Where did you buy the double rack?

I'm making it from 303 SS but I ran out of time. The plan was to do 12 racks today.

Here is the set-up without the ribsimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

And here is the finish. 5.5 hours on egg and another half hour in crock pot before I got to the party. all were eaten. Go figure...image

Big Lake, Minnesota