Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Spatchcock Turkeys on the XL BGE?

Options
mohom315
mohom315 Posts: 2
edited October 2011 in Poultry
Hello - new to the forum, just bought our XL BGE this summer and hoping to make 24 Thanksgiving guests very happy this year. :) Would appreciate any and all advice about how to set up for and cook two 12 lb spatchcock turkeys (free range) on the XL (in Michigan so outdoor temp will probably be in 30s-40s).  I've done alot of searching and reading, and am persuaded that brining and spatchcock (had to look up the definition, just to show how new I am to this) are good ways to go -- but I don't even have a plate setter yet.  Do I need one?  And should each turkey be in its own roasting pan, and do the roasting pans rest on the grill?  Any suggestions for the brand of lump charcoal that will work best for this?  I've reviewed the naked whiz's site, but not sure if I need slower or faster burning for this.  And I'm a little wary of adding smoke flavor on my first try.  Thanks so much!

Comments

• DominicMagestic
    Options
    don't need roasting pans for spatchcocked birds. definitely get a ps and I would go beyond spatchcocked in order to fit two on an xl. Cut them up so you have two breast, four wings, four thigh/leg combos. That way you can pull the pieces as they done. brine overnight - several recipes on google but salt and water works well. ps in, drip pan supported off of the ps with a few wads of foil, grid at normal level. 350-400 dome - pull the breast at 160 all the rest of the pieces at 185. don't use much smoke - poultry soaks it up. rub of your choice. your judges will be happy with moist turkey.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • mohom315
    Options
    thank you so much!  very helpful!