Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Recipe and Help !

Options
bschroed
bschroed Posts: 29
edited October 2011 in Pork

My question is I want a simple recipe for pulled pork. Which cut of the pig is best. The butt or shoulder? Would like a good brine recipe to soak it in the night before, or is this needed? and cooking directions. This will be my first pulled pork on my egg. I am wanting to cook this for around 30 people for our mens bbq fellowship at our church. I really want it to be good. All replies really apppreciated !!!!

Comments

• DominicMagestic
    Options
    what T-t said - cept i like pecan for smoke

big time mistake by newbies - stabilize temps at 250 dome, put butt on, OMG the dome temp went down so i need to adjust - DON'T TOUCH YOUR VENTS.  you already have a 250 fire and the dome temp will drop by adding the cold mass - it will come back to 250.  how do i know this - i did it my first time out and chased temps all night.

have fun with it.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • uncledave
    Options
    I just did a 4 lb. boston butt. Rubbed it with famous Daves rib rub just before cooking as I did not plan ahead. I cooked it at a 250 degree dome with the plate setter legs up. It cooked for 14 hrs. and hit 196 degrees internal. I foiled it and wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler. I went to my daughters to watch the Huskers beat Michigan State. Took the butt out at half time and pulled apart. OMG it was good. Sooo easy.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I amazed that a 4 lb'er took 14 hrs ?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Gadget
    Gadget Posts: 3
    Options

The first time I attempted pulled pork on our XL was for a group of 30.  I bought an 18lbs pork shoulder from Costco that was approximately $33.00.  I later realized the package contained two 9lbs shoulders, but that cut the cooking time in nearly half. 

With a egg dialled at 225*, I cooked the shoulders indirect over two drip pans on my inverted plate setter for 19.5 hours.  I followed the Nakedwhiz's skillful direction located here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm

and this was the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkvSqV371s0 .  It truely was amazing and came out exactly as the instructions said it would.  The only thing worthy of mentioning it calculate the time needed so you dont rush and have time for the shoulder(s) to sit as instructed.  Good luck!!!