Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porch safety issues? (Particularly roof overhangs)

Options
Whittsend
Whittsend Posts: 20
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

I have a great spot on my cedar deck for my soon-to-arrive EGG, but I want to make sure I am as safe as possible.  I have 9 foot high over-hanging roof with a slatted/vented ceiling above the deck.  The overhang sticks out another 3 feet or so past where the EGG will sit.  I am concerned about hot "exhaust" or possibly hot ash rising out of the EGG, not being able to "vent" properly to out the exterior areas and causing issues either with the ceiling itself or in the attic areas.

Do I need to be concerned about this?  If so, what are some measures I can take to reduce risk?  (small ceiling mounted fan to dissipate exhaust, some sort of hood/venting system, etc...)

Thanks!  :)

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I don't know the answer but having set off my CO detector (thankfully while the wife was out of the country or else she'd have taken my cookers away) in the most improbable manner I could imagine, I'd say you are right to look into it.

The Naked Whiz
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I had my large BGE on our deck under the eves of the house for one winter. While I didn't notice any issues with venting or CO buildup, the smoke started to stain my soffits so I moved it to an open area.  
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • SmokeOrFire
    Options
    NakedWhiz: I'm sure you've seen the thin blue flames that can come out the top. They are only visible at night. I've seen them 3ft tall. I'd hate to see that flame licking against an overhang.
  • eggtopia
    eggtopia Posts: 91
    Options
    I've got mine under an overhang.  There's not even a smoke mark on the white ceiling.  I don't think its a problem and I hope I'm not wrong.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options

I have a great spot on my cedar deck for my soon-to-arrive EGG, but I want to make sure I am as safe as possible.  I have 9 foot high over-hanging roof with a slatted/vented ceiling above the deck.  The overhang sticks out another 3 feet or so past where the EGG will sit.  I am concerned about hot "exhaust" or possibly hot ash rising out of the EGG, not being able to "vent" properly to out the exterior areas and causing issues either with the ceiling itself or in the attic areas.

Do I need to be concerned about this?  If so, what are some measures I can take to reduce risk?  (small ceiling mounted fan to dissipate exhaust, some sort of hood/venting system, etc...)

Thanks!  :)

My Egg sits inside at the edge of my back porch (almost 3 feet of roof overhang) and has a 9 foot ceiling above it. I'd be less worried about the ceiling and more worried about the cedar deck. While I have some some smoke marks above it, they power wash right off. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I have a large overhang that's 8 feet high.  No problems at all.  No discoloration in the ceiling.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smokeorfire:  Those thin blue wispy flames wouldn't extend up to a 9 foot ceiling, they contain very little heat and would probably only exist for a few moments when getting a hot fire ready for searing, so I wouldn't be concerned in that regard.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i would be more concerned about the deck thasn i would the celing. there have been some issues with hot ash/coals comming out of the bottom vent. that is why there is a screen on the new eggs. i would get some kind of protective mat to put under your egg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I had mine on a cedar deck before, however no overhang.  To protect the cedar from falling coals as I poured the hot contents from my starter chimney, I used a piece of 3x4 1/4" cement backer board - generally used for tile flooring under-layment under the XL-BGE