Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Splatt\'s Brisket

Options
tmsplatt1
tmsplatt1 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in Beef

Ingredients

1 teaspoon paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1 tablespoon of course, black pepper (regular is fine if no course available)

1 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon of salt (small ground kosher salt the best)

Pinch each* of lemon peel, ground mustard, thyme, basil.

*I define a "pinch" as taking your spice bottle and set it to the setting that has a few holes in in, then give it two to three quick shakes into your mixing bowl.

Instructions

Get a 3.5 lb. brisket. Do NOT trim fat. This is important to keep it moist during cooking. Mix all spices in one bowl. Coat both sides of brisket with olive oil, then cover with spice mix on both sides. Put in the fridge for at least 4 hours (overnight is better).

Bring egg up to 250 with the plate setter for indirect heat. I use 100% natural mesquite charcoal so I don't need wood chips, but at times i'll put 2 to 3 large chunks (unsoaked) of either pecan or hickory to kick it up a notch, either is good. Hickory is going to be "in your face" so if you really like smoke, use hickory. Pecan is a bit sweeter and milder, but a great flavor for most any meat.

Place meat FAT SIDE UP. This is important. This helps keep the meat below nice and moist. Cook for 4 hours without peeking. This will give you a nice crust on the outside and juicy inside. If you like it a bit more rare, check it after 3 hours and look for about 140 degrees with your meat thermometer. I like it either way. A little more done for sandwiches is my liking but i do prefer it a bit more red for a brisket "plate" (no sandwich).

Great stuff here! Enjoy.

I'll try to post a pic later. I'm cooking one now!

Notes

Number of Servings: 6 to 8.

Time to Prepare: 10 minutes