Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Awesome Cuban Picnic

Big TexanBig Texan Posts: 3
edited 11:44AM in Pork
Ingredients1 8- 10 Pork shoulder bone in and w/ skin. I get the ones with half skin and on top.
Make slits throught the skin into meat aprx. 1/4 inch like a checckerbord pattern.
Rub with the below. Pulse everthing in a prossesor and refridge overnight. Save the reseved liquids.
1 Large Orange
1 Lime
2TBS Kosher Salt
3 garlic cloves smashed
2-3 TBS crushed Red Pepper flakes
 InstructionsSmoke with apple and pecan chunks at 225, indirect with water pan on placesetter.

Heat the reserve wet rub and 1 6 oz can pineapple juice and 3 TBS cider vinager until a boil then keep warm.
Mop the pork every hor or tow and check water in the pan.
Continue to smoke until 190 internal temp. (The big bone will move and pull out? Aprox 8 to 9 hours total.NotesNumber of Servings: 12Time to Prepare: 24

Comments

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,971
    Seriously Big Texan? Are you cooking on an Egg?

A water pan?

225º for 8 or 9 hours?

Mop every hour or two?

Come on.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 6,105
    Nice way to greet a new guy with three posts.   :|

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • LitLit Posts: 6,847

Sundown - Not sure what was wrong with his post. I spray my shoulders every hour and use a water pan also. The water pan is so the drippings dont burn up and then I use the drippings as the base for my sauce. The time seems a little short for a 8-10 pound shoulder but it also sounds like he is cooking a picnic shoulder versus the butt so it may cook faster than the butts I cook.

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    edited October 2011
    Well, he (Big Texan) posted that 2 years ago and apparently never returned, so i guess he won't care....
    The Naked Whiz
  • LitLit Posts: 6,847
    Thats funny. Didn't even notice that.