Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ain`t Momma`s Meatloaf - Egg Style

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in Beef

Ingredients

1 T Oil - They specify corn or canola, I used EVOO
1/2 Cup Minced Onion
1/2 Sweet Pepper (Green or Red - I used the whole pepper)
3 Garlic Cloves (I used 5 and will use 7 next time)
1 t fresh ground Black Pepper
1 t Salt (I used coarse Kosher)
1/2 t Ground Cumin
1-1/4 pounds Ground Beef
3/4 pounds Ground Pork
1-1/2 cups dry Bread Crumbs (I used Panko)
3 T Sour Cream
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
1 Egg
1/4 cup Beef Stock
1 t Tabasco
Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
Your Favorite Barbecue Sauce (mine is Gates Original)

Instructions

In a heavy skillet, warm the oil and then saute the onion, bell pepper, garlic, pepper, salt and cumin until the vegetables are softened. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a large bowl and let cool for a few minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with your hands. When uniform, transfer the mixture into a smoke-proof loaf pan and sprinkle the top liberally with DPCL.

Set up the Egg with a direct fire and a raised grid. Stabilize the fire at around 275 and add a few chunks of your favorite mild wood. I used Persimmon.

Put the loaf pan on the grid and close it all up. Cook about 45 minutes or until the loaf has shrunk away from the sides of the pan. Run a rubber spatula around and under the loaf and decide if the loaf is firm enough to turn out. When it is, drain off the juice into a separate pan, then carefully turn out the meatloaf upside down onto the grid. This is a moment of high anxiety, but success is sweet. Now, dust the new top (previous bottom) and sides liberally with DPCL.

Between 275 and 300, it will take between and hour and an hour and a half to finish. I used an internal of 160 as my target. I don`t like rare meatloaf. When you`re relatively sure that you`re about a half hour from finish, coat the top of the meatloaf liberally with your favorite barbecue sauce. Allow the loaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing.

The only thing that surpasses the dinner of this meatloaf is the left over sandwiches!

Notes

Number of Servings: 6

Time to Prepare: