Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water Chestnut Stuffing

Options
Gretanelle Johnson
edited November -1 in Poultry

Ingredients

• 1 medium onion diced • 1 tsp salt
• 12 Cup prepared stuffing mix per 5 lbs of bird. • 2 Can water chestnuts, thinly sliced
• 2 eggs, beaten• 1 Cube butter or margerine
• &#189 Cup light cream• 1 lb mild sausage
• &#189 Cup finely chopped parsley
• 3 Cup chopped celery

Instructions

Prepare your turkey by cleaning the inside and outside thoroughly. Pour generous amounts of salt and garlic powder inside and outside of the turkey. This gives a wonderful flavor to the bird.
Put into a medium kitchen garbage bag and put into the refrigerator overnight. When ready to stuff, wash the inside of the turkey and pat dry. Try to leave as much of the salt and garlic powder on the outside as you can. Stuff with Water Chestnut Stuffing and secure the legs. Tuck aluminum foil over the opening above the legs so that the barbecue sauce does not get into the stuffing.

Saute sausage and onion. Pour off any fat. Put the stuffing (I use one pkg Pepperidge Farm and one cubed seasoned stuffing mix) into a large bowl and add the sausage, onion. Add the beaten eggs, cream, parsley, celery, salt and water chestnuts and mix thoroughly.

In a cooking pot put 1 cube butter and 2 cups of water (stock from the boiled giblets can be used but I save this for the gravey instead). Cook until the butter in melted and add to the stuffing. The stuffing should be moist but not soggy.

I have used this recipe every time we cook a turkey in our Kamado since 1959. It has been passed down in the family as their favorite dressing. Enjoy!!!

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: