Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brant's Boston Butt

Options
Brant Warren
Brant Warren Posts: 2
edited November -1 in Pork

Ingredients

• Bone-in Boston Butt cut of a pork shoulder
• Plain-old French"s yellow mustard
•
• &#188 Cup paprika
• 3 Tbs dark brown sugar
• 1 Tbs basil
• 1 Tbs oregano
• 1 Tbs cayenne pepper

Instructions

Combine dry rub ingredients.
Rinse meat and pat dry with paper towels.
Slather with mustard.
Sprinkle all over with dry rub.
Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 10 hours.

Let meat sit at room temperature for one hour.
Place meat on a rack above a drip pan, and use a Polder through the thickest part of the meat without touching bone.
I start out with a bunch of hickory 6 - 10 fist-sized chunks and a handful of chips. Usually, I don't add any more while cooking.
Put meat on the Egg, and stabilize the Egg thermometer at 200 degrees.
Cook at 200 degrees until the Polder reaches about 150 - 160. Then, increase the Egg temperature to about 260 and cook a few more hours until the Polder reaches 200 degrees. This will usually take about 20 hours for a 6 pound Boston butt.
Remove the meat from the Egg, cover in foil, and let sit 15 minutes to an hour.
Pull the meat into thin strands. It will take you a while, so sample while you go!

Notes

For EGGtoberfest 98, I cooked two butts the previous Thursday - Friday morning, pulled it Friday, and reheated it at EGGtoberfest Saturday. I served it with Struttin' Sauce from Jamison and Jamison's &#034Smoke and Spice&#034, with two teaspoons of cinnamon added to their recipe.

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: