Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help favorite rub on thighs

Options
tacodawg
tacodawg Posts: 335
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on grilling some thighs tomorrow night. I have several of the Dizzy Pig rubs. What is your favorite on chicken. Thanks.

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    DP Raging River is great for chicken, but if you ever come across Cluck and Squeal rub, jump on it! It's phenomenal. ;)
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Tim:

Shaking the Tree is probably my favorite...or is it Pineapple Head...or is it Red Eye Express...or is it Raging River...I think you may see what I'm saying...ALL of the DP rubs are good on chicken (IMHO)...the real question is which one do YOU like best...if you are doing a lot of thighs, then try 3 or 4 different rubs to see which you like...I do that quite often and don't "mark" them so I don't remember which rub is on which piece of meat...that way each one I eat is a surprise! :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    You didn't mention how you cooked the thighs?? Direct or indirect. I have found that chicken gets crispy when you cook it HIGH up in the dome at 400 degrees --indirect. Don't even need to turn it..
  • Bobby R
    Bobby R Posts: 17
    Options
    Tim - The wife and I really enjoy Tsunami Spin on chicken and I cook thighs almost exclusively. For me, TS is a nice change of pace from the typical BBQ rubs and compliments chicken very well.

Like another poster mentioned, you may want to try a couple/few different DP rubs if you are cooking enough pieces. Plus, it's kind of fun to play taste test and see what everyone prefers. If you are as "Type-A" as me, there may be voting forms involved! Kinda kidding? :cheer:

Bobby R.
    Milwaukee, WI
  • ddub
    ddub Posts: 7
    Options
    My favorite is cracked black pepper, cracked sea salt, and baste with lemon/lime juice and melted butter. 350dg indirect turning every 10 min and basting.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Thanks I have some with Tsunami and some with Pineapple Head. Going do to them indirect about 400. I am sure anxious to see how they come out. Thanks.