Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ultimate montreal smoked meat recipe

Options
124»

Comments

• horseflesh
    Options
    In another thread I found advice to cook til IT of 160 F, which is what I tried. Also, this page suggests IT of 150 F: 

https://www.north-america.bradleysmoker.com/recipe/steaming-pastrami/

Not sure which is best but I'm committed to 160 F now, the smoke step was last night and it's steaming right now. 

Based on feedback in the other thread, I also soaked longer than 3 hours. It was more like 7, with changes every 30 minutes at first, and every hour towards the end. The post-smoke sample seemed to have about the right amount of saltiness. 

As to steaming, I think I found a good method to handle the whole brisket. A restaurant steam table tub, 6" deep, is easily big enough to swallow a 15 lb brisket. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Winco-SPF6-6-Inch-Pan-Full/dp/B001VZ6XP4

You'll need some kind of rack, and if it doesn't have tall enough legs to keep the meat out of the water, I guess you can prop it up with foil balls, ceramic ramekins, etc. I happened to have just the right kind of rack, which I think I got from a restaurant supply store, though I can't remember who made it. 

I got a domed lid for the tub but it doesn't seal very well. After an hour in the oven I pulled the tub out and added a layer of foil for a better steam seal. Honestly I think foil alone is fine and I doubt the lid is helping. (Note you'll need an extra-wide foil roll if you don't want a foil seam on top of the vessel.)

Lastly, a heavy tub full of steaming water with a thin lip and no handles is kind of hazardous to move around. I think it is smart to put it on a tray, and use the tray to move it around when it's hot. Because the tub is huge a normal cookie sheet or even a quarter sheet pan will not work. You need a "2/3" AKA "3/4" sheet pan, which is 21" wide. A full sheet pan is 26" wide and probably won't fit in your oven. 

Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/F5rWR

This would also be a good way to steam-reheat king crab legs, which are always awkward to handle. 

Hope this helps someone!
  • Rocksteady
    Rocksteady Posts: 10
    Options
    I just picked up The Mile End cookbook, I’m a Montreal and so is the author, I know this recipe is the real deal and the closest I’ll get to making Schwartz's smoke meat at home.

Couple of things I didn’t like about his recipe was that the author said to use 4 pounds of oak wood chips soaked.

The whole soaking thing has been debunked so I’m surprised to see him mention it, why chips instead of chunks, and 4 pounds seems very excessive.

Can anyone clarify how much of chunks I should use, and he specifically calls for Oak, I can order Oak but are there substitutes that I can use that will be exactly the same? I’m fine ordering it if I have to but it would be good to know if there are alternatives I can use that will give the exact taste.

I will be cooking this on a Kamado Joe Big.
  • Daddyshack
    Daddyshack Posts: 179
    Options
    Seems similar to pastrami and i am excited to try. Can you describe some of the differences?