Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new bbq guru models

benny
benny Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone know if bbq guru is updating their cyberques to be wireless friendly? without all the rigor of trying with the cyberq

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Call the guru folks and ask... then let us know.

GG
  • benny
    i already did but they were vague in response. im trying to decide whether to buy or wait. already have digi...which i like
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Any smart hardware supplier will always be vague on upcoming models if they aren't close to release. Once they announce new features on upcoming versions, sales of current models basically come to a halt while people wait for the latest/greatest.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Not to mention that if it's a really good idea, competitors get a head start on either beating them to the market or catching up.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    I hope they do update. I love my digiQ II, but want network connectivity etc.

The current CyberQ's method is cumbersome. As a tech guy, I don't understand why they went the USB route.

The Stoker is better (using regular ethernet - with the new version having built-in Wifi!), however I'm not sold on the embedded software and how it reports its data.

My wish list is:

- A Standard Ethernet interface (or built-in WiFi)
    - A Standards-based Web-Service API for data. This means that almost any development platform could build apps (pc, mac, phones, etc etc) to interface with the device. The Stoker's API (actually lack of) is ridiculous to use.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I have never used the Stoker Log program, but I thought people in general liked it. It is free, so the price is right.
    The Naked Whiz
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I like it a lot. Easy to use and I have never had a problem with it. Everyone I know who actually owns a Stoker and uses the program loves it.
  • Grandpas Grub

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were some new models coming out. It has been a while since the Digi series was released and a while on the Cyber series.

• Grandpas Grub

There are not a lot of people that can or would even want to develop an app, however, it would be of interest to me.

I am not real sold on the built in WiFi. Something else to potentially go wrong.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Works great for me. Amir, the developer seems to make changes/enhancements if they seem to be useful.

I find it interesting to review.

butt1104.jpg

• benny
    id like the wifi...fewer wires wifi interfaces are mature tech so not so many problems. api would be nice so developers or mfg could make a iphone or droid app to remotely monitor /change temps .....convergance of technologies..who would need a polder, or a maverick?
  • Grandpas Grub

Sounds like you want the q2 to do what the stoker does.

built in wifi just potential for more problems, plus computer technology changes to quick. Plugin into an access point is a simple solution.

• BananaChipz
    No No... there is nothing wrong with Stoker Log. Amir did a lot of work on that. Not taking anything away from that.

The problem is the API's from the stoker itself. Amir had to jump through hoops to bring StokerLog to life. The embedded system in the unit uses a Telnet gateway to report information; Not the easiest way to grab data.

What I want to see is a standards-based Web Services API built into the Stoker. It's not rocket science, and a lot of embedded systems do that today. The first manufacturer who does this will win..It would make it childsplay to build applications for almost any platform to monitor the stoker - current and future. The possibilities would be endless.
  • BananaChipz
    Exactly right Benny. Native apps for wireless monitoring, technology convergence, integration with location data, social networking, home automation, etc etc. The possibilities are endless. Rock's is on the right track, they just have to make it easier to get a the data.

I agree somewhat on the potential for something to go wrong. Also, it's more difficult to take advantage of new wireless standards if they arrive. If the stoker was $100, and I had to just buy a new one in a couple years, then it wouldn't be so much of an issue. At $350+, it's an investment

I actually think they did the right thing originally by providing an Ethernet Jack. I believe the new ones still have the rj45, which is good (if they got rid of it, it would be a really dumb move).