Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have any suggestions for a Prime Rib on the Egg? Thanks Dave

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Dave,
    here's the link to how i do em. . ..

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    Dave,
    I've tried a few ways, but the best 3 were my last 3 cooked the way Max does his. I like to score the fat cap and season it up nicely before covering with the extra fat...mmmm good stuff.[p]If you do cover the rib with extray fat, there will be a lot of fat drippings. I find that using a large pan to catch the fat drippings eliminates any chance of having the burnt fat smokey taste. Just make sure you do not set the pan directly on the inverted plate setter, use a couple of firebricks or stones to lift it up about 1/2" or more so the drippings will not burn in the pan. I also add <1/4" of water, just to keep it cool until the fat starts running. The water boils off quicly so the meat won't get mushy.

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    Hi Mad max, it's been a while,
    Have you tried your turkey gravy recipe when cooking chickens yet? Either I am just getting better at making the gravy or chicken drippings actually makes a better gravy. We've done this 4 or 5 times since thanksgiving. Usually with 2 or 3 small chickens, not oven stuffers, then follow your turkey gravy recipe.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    egghead2004,
    you know, i haven't yet. . ..no good reason, just don't tend to think about gravy when i'm roasting birds. .. i sure should though. . .glad you enjoy it so much. . .same for the prime rib. ..[p]btw, if you have leftover prime rib, you should whip up some prime rib hash. . .take 2 or 3 large potatoes, cubed up small. ...melt a stick of butter (or two) in a large skillet, throw in the potato and some diced up onion. . .season with salt and pepper. ..cook it till the potatoes start getting tender, then cut up you left over prime rib into small cubes (same size as the tateres. . add the meat, keep cooking till the potatoes are browned. ..makes a great meal. ..i'll be cooking up a big batch of this for waldorf eggfest. . .