Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

...now that\'s a mouthful of a name!

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bulgur-Lentil-Asparagus Risotto...now that is a mouthful of a name...and this is a variation on my Asparagus Risotto that adds Lentils. Personally I found it to be amazing and am considering Bulgur my new Rice substitute more and more.

Risotto is a class of Italian dishes of rice cooked in broth to a creamy consistency. The broth may be meat-based, fish-based, or vegetable-based; many kinds include parmesan cheese, butter, and onion. It is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy. This dish substitutes Bulgur for Arborio Rice making it a little less traditional than Italian but shows the versatility of Bulgur in an amazing side dish.

We also cooked up some fresh sweet corn and some Mojo Marinated Spatchocked bone in chicken breasts...

Ingredients

1 Ib. Asparagus (organic) cut on bias, 2" long (trim off stems) - Yields about ½ Lb. unless you like the stems€
24 Oz. Low Sodium Chicken Broth (2 ½ cups)
1 ½ Cups, Whole Wheat Bulgur (organic)
1 Cup White Cooking Wine
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Medium Sweet Onion (organic), diced
5 Large Cloves, Fresh Garlic, Minced
1 ½ Cups, Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese
3/4 Cup Lentils

e65dc327.jpgbac9fa3d.jpga7b08287.jpgca187424.jpg

Directions

Soak Bulgur in 1 ½ Cups of water until water is soaked up, rinse in a fine colander and set aside (draining)
Over medium-high heat on your grill using a Emile Henry Stew Pot, sauté the onion and garlic and then add the Bulgur and wine and cook until the wine is absorbed.
Add the broth, about 1 Cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more. Simmer until all broth is absorbed and remove from heat.
In a 4-5 Qt Stew Pot boil your Lentils until tender, remove, cover and let sit until bulgur is done.
While the Bulgur is simmering heat some EVOO in a Emile Henry Cassoulet and sauté the Asparagus until bright and tender (3-4 minutes), add the Bulgur to the Asparagus to the Bulgur, season with the Salt and Pepper then stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
OPTIONAL SHORTCUT: Use canned asparagus and stir into the dish just prior to serving
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments