Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Myron Mixons Fast Brisket

Options
Cookin" in South Dakota
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook a brisket on Sundy. Has anyone ever tried Myron Mixons "fast" technique on the BGE?

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Haven't tried it, but looking forward to some insights. Don't forget to take some pics!
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I took his BBQ school back in Jan. It was pretty interesting to see all his steps to prep and cook his comp meats. He uses a water pan during his cooks to keep the meat moist.

I tried to do it with my Lg, the DigiQ seemd like it had a hard time keeping the temp stable. It also looked like the egg also used a whole lot more fuel than my standard "long" cook. I'll probably try it again since I had a few kinks during the cook.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Since the egg retains moisture so well, I doubt you really You could try leaving that step out and see how it works. I am going to do one this weekend because our Lucky's Supermarket had choice brisket for 1.99/lb.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I have tried it several times and that includes both cooking with him and against him at contests. I used that method for over a year on the BBQ circuit. Just make sure you don't hold to those times as absolute rules. If you would ask Myron about that he would tell you "Cook 'em till they're DOOONE!"

When you cook hot and fast on the EGG® the tenderness is sometimes an issue. Bascially you want to cook the first couple of hours to develop bark and then put it in foil to finish it off. I always cook mine until the texture feels right throughout the flat, Myron cooks his until it hits 195° and then he pulls it.

I hope this helps. Just for the record, I cook mine about 6 to 8 hours now. ccrider, Pappasam, Nature Boy and Daddy Pat are the brisket gurus on the EGG forum so maybe one of them will chime in, although they seldom hang out here anymore.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01972ra.jpg

I've been doing hot-n-fast for about 5 years, the last one was just last weekend, and I did an 11 pound packer in 6-1/2 hours of pit time. I did rest it for 2 hours then flash chilled it right in the foil as my buddy was planning on reheating it the following evening.

When cooking for myself, the two variations I make to most hot-n-fast methods are:

1. A low pit temp of 200° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours so the brisket can get some smoke flavor and to help with the ring (more on this later). I did not do this on the one mentioned above, so it would have added another hour or so to the 6-1/2 hour pit time. My pit temp for the remainder of the cook in the Egg is 325°.

DSC01982aa.jpg

2. I inject my warmed brisket juice into the meat as I'm going to the foil. I use about 4 ounces worth.

DSC01988aa.jpg

3. My foiled briskets are finished at 300°. This can be done on the cooker, but an oven also works.

DSC02087rac.jpg

4. I believe a nice ring is attractive on brisket and even though I use that low temp start which helps the ring, it doesn't always pop the way I want it to. I give the inside face of my raw brisket a sprinkle of Tenderquick for 5 minutes, rinse it off and put back in the fridge for 1 hour. The first seasoning on that same face is fine ground celery seed from India. Celery is very high in nitrates, and celery is a complimentary flavor for beef. On top of that I add my other seasonings, which are sea salt (which also contain nitrates), coarse black pepper and cayenne.

DSC08376a.jpg

DSC08378a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Options
    i have tried his method, and I went to his class as well earlier this year.

Last weekend I did a 15 lb brisket, egg dome was at 380/390 steady and my maverick was reading about 340-350 during various parts of the cook.

It took me 9 hours. It took a very long time at 190 to get closer to the 205. again you pull when it is tender, and at 190 mine was not ready to pull.

I was at his class, I saw him do it in 4-5 hours on 16 lb briskets, no clue if the steam bath from his water cookers makes THAT much of a difference.

Most people, if doing high heat, cook unfoiled, then foil around 160/170 til done, but they complain of lack of bark.

I smoked unfoiled until 140, foiled til about 180, then unfoiled for the last 20 or so degrees, and that helped develop a nice bark I think. this also could have contributed to the longer cook time, but it took 3-4 hours to just get to 140, so I was not going to finish in an hour anyways per myron's 4-5 hour instructions.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Did you foil at a certain point in the cook (time or meat temp) or when it had a certain look. And if you don't mind sharing why?
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    I just do what the Chief cook says. Works good for me. Didn't know you were back to slow.

Poppasam
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Good to see you online Sam. Give Diane a Big hug from me and Tania!