Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Ever Have This Happen??

BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,373
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the 4th weekend we had my nephew and his girlfriend over for a meal. I did beef filets on large #1 and twice baked potatoes on large #2. I was using RO Steakhouse in both. I fired them both up and noticed a strange smell coming from #2 (yes I said #2 but go with me).

The meal went well and no one said anything, but I could taste a funky flavor in the potatoes. I checked it the next a.m. and found what must have been a piece of plastic in the lump and welded to the side of the firebox. I think all of us have found rocks, metal, etc, but this really smelled bad.

I did a 800+ degree clean burn tonight and could smell it for the first hour and then it seemed to be gone. It is almost cooled now and I swear I can still smell it. I am going to wire brush the hell out of the firebox when it cools and do another clean burn tomorrow night, but not sure I can trust RO anymore. I can put up with rocks and metal, but this toxic material is not acceptable!!

Mike
Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments