Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib rack 911

Options
elzbth
elzbth Posts: 2,075
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just determined I have a problem - the rib rack I bought for my small is not going to work :( I've got 3 slabs of St. Louis ribs that I need to have on the egg at 6AM in the morning. What in the heck am I going to do? :S Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Take the fire ring out so the grid sits lower, cut the ribs in half and stack them sideways, 6 wide. They are very flexible when starting out and you can use the edge of the egg to prop up the outside racks. Do that and rotate them inside out to help with cooking. Every 30 minutes, take the outside 2 and move them to the middle...etc.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Cut them in half. Stand 4 halves on their sides leaning against each other. lay the other 2 halves across the top. Frank has posted a pic doing something similar where he seperated/stood them up using skewers.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You may want to use some foil under the grid where there is a gap in the platesetter. This way the heat coming around the edge doesn't burn up the outside ribs
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

All great advice, if you use foil under the grid as Crimsongator says do not place the foil directly in line under the dome thermometer as it can effect your readings by deflecting the heat away from your thermometer. Been there, done that. :laugh:

I think this is what Crimson has in mind or something similar . . . the foil is between the legs on the platesetter.
    DSCN6732A_640.jpg
    Do not make these pieces of foil to big as they can cause other problems with heat circulation. The ones I show here are about as large as I would use and maybe a little smaller just to be safe. ;)

Blair

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Par boil em and put em in the crock pot! :laugh: :ohmy: :blink: .Just funnin.What the others said should work fine.Good Luck.Have a Happy & SAFE Holiday. :)