Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rib Help

JscottJscott Posts: 174
edited 12:13AM in EggHead Forum
I need RIB help from my fellow EggHeads!
I've tried them twice, once low and slow at 225 for 2.5 hours and they were chewy. I tried them last night at 350 for 3 hours and they dried out.
should I go inbetween? What, my wife wants to do them in the oven, I mean the one inside!!!! How can that be?
Please help!

• HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    2.25 needs to be longer than that and 350 for 3 hours should have been more than dry, more like carbon.
  • 1klrvette1klrvette Posts: 29
    I'm a new egger but I did 2 racks flat with plate setter legs up 250 for almost 6 hrs they were awesome.
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Looks like both times and temp are not correct. Search the forum for Car Wash Mike ribs or 3-2-1 ribs. Bottom line 250 indirect for 5-6 hours. I do 3-2-1 ribs and have always been perfect every time.
  • psalzerpsalzer Posts: 106
    Yep, 5-6 hours at 250 is just about perfect!
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    If you had added about 1 hour in foil at 250º to your 225º cook they would have been just about right. I'm thinking baby backs here. A good friend showed me to foil till meat is between 195º and 200º and they were spot on. Ribs take practice and I'm still learning. :)

• Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,356
    How do you do them in the oven? If the ribs are cook to your liking in the oven, then try to duplicate that time and temp on the egg. Do you boil the ribs before putting the on the egg?
    IMHO 3 hours at 350 is too long, and 2.5 hours at 225 is too short.. Search the forum for recipes. Don't despair ribs are tricky and each cut has it own cooking personality
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • fiver29fiver29 Posts: 526
    This will make for the best ribs every time. Just takes a bit of practice.
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Try 4.5hrs ar 275dome. No opening the Egg during the entire time. No foil, no mustard, just rub and smoke. Baste with sauce and flip a few times for another 30min.
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Perfect advice and thanks!