Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

using a temp controller

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my Auber Instruments temp controller in the mail yesterday and plan on doing a shoulder over night friday night. Just wondering if there's any specific way to configure the daisy wheel. If I get a 10 pounder, will an egg filled to the top of the fire ring keep burning for 15-17 hours? I've never done a shoulder that large before, so I never need more than 8-10 hours. Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    jerryp wrote:
    I got my Auber Instruments temp controller in the mail yesterday and plan on doing a shoulder over night friday night. Just wondering if there's any specific way to configure the daisy wheel. If I get a 10 pounder, will an egg filled to the top of the fire ring keep burning for 15-17 hours? I've never done a shoulder that large before, so I never need more than 8-10 hours. Thanks a bunch.

Hey Jerry, Not sure what size egg you have. I have a large egg. I use a BBQ guru CyberQ II on occasion for some over night cooks. Keep in mind it is always good to know how to cook with your egg with out the controller. It helps when the power goes out and you have to cook the natural way. ;)

When I set my controller up I set my daisy wheel open where only a tooth pick will fall through the crack. Using my pit viper 10 cfm fan.

000_1542.jpg

I also have a damper on my 10 cfm pit viper that I set part way closed.

000_1540.jpg

100_3144.jpg

100_3140.jpg

I go with the setting below.

100_3139.jpg

100_3138.jpg

I always get the biggest butts I can find. I would rather cook a whole butt than one a butcher has trimmed on to make smaller. I love my butts to much to have someone cut the money muscle off one...pet peeve. :angry:

For a butt cook I always start with a clean egg and then fill it with fresh lump to the top of the fire ring. I have cooked close to 30 hours at 250F dome on a full load of lump. Be sure to cook your butt at 250F dome temp. If you cook your butt at a lower than 250F temp you risk a marathon cook lasting way to long.

Also, be sure to put your butt in to cook after your egg has burned off the bad smell from the smoke burning off the new lump. I always wave my hand over the smoke coming out of the dome. If it smells bad I wait.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your cook and your new controller. ;) Tim
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I use a Stoker on my large for my over-nights and set the DFMT the same way. The Stoker fans have a gate the falls down when the fan isn't blowing so a no damper settings needed.

I put my pit probe about 2 - 3 inches above the cooking grill and set the pit target temp to 225°F. With 7 pound butts, this usually gets me a 12 to 13 hour cook (cooking to internal temp of about 192°F).
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Dooood, when the power goes out, you use the car battery jumper, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    A large Egg filled to the top of the fire ring should go 25-30 hours at 220-230 degrees.
    The Naked Whiz