Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Dern thighs I love em grilled my way

2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
edited 5:40PM in EggHead Forum
Here is our supper tonight. Chicken thighs brined in 2 quarts of water and 3 table spoons each of kosher salt and dark brown sugar and tasty licks mellow yella. All melted and cooled and soaked a few hours in the fridge.

I pulled them out of the brine and sprinkled some sweet rub on them while they were still dripping wet I put them on the AR up high on the grid extender at 400F direct. They surprised me they usually go 1 to 1.25 hours but, these went 45 min's and 200F internal.

They look a little dark because of all the sugar. The skin was crrrrispy and the dark meat was finger lickin good. :P

• EggsakleyEggsakley Posts: 1,014
    They do indeed look delicious. Will attempt tomorrow. :)
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Those look GOOD! Love brined chicken thighs.
  • ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    thighs are my favorite!....... they look great what kind of wood did you use for flavor?...... thanks! ray
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 1,795
    Tim looks great and KayNOcook says she would eat them in a heartbeat.
    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,421
    Awesome thighs! Favorite part of the chicken. Yeah, those look finger lickin good!
    I don't know the rules but these could win in a BBQ competition by looks alone. :cheer:
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Thank you Bruce. :)

I'm sure your cook will be as good as mine. ;)
  • Zogman100Zogman100 Posts: 69
    Nice looking thighs, and I don't say that to just anybody! B)
    Thanks Teresa this was the first time I brined thighs. I'll have to brine them more often. I have brined a lot of other things and I gotta say thighs do great as well. ;)
    Thanks Ray. I must admit I used a mixture of WGWW and RO in the red bag and nothing else. I will admit I have in the past used hickory and like it real good. :) Tim
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,356
    Never have brined chicken longer than 1 hour. After those look-good-enough-to-eat- pictures I will brine longer. Thanks
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
    Thanks Jim and blessings to KayNOcook she has good taste. :woohoo: I would cook for the both of you any time my friend. Tim :)
    Thanks Clay. I feel the same way about the thighs. Kind of you to say and I don't mean to sound proud but, those same thoughts went across my mind. Tim :)
    Thank you Zogman100 they were very good and I will have some leftovers for the toaster oven when I get ready to eat some more. Tim :P
    Thanks Joan. I feel I made a low sodium brine and I hope to think it added flavor and moisture. I know in the past I have cooked them after I had them frozen and I know brining will help them. Hope you are doing alright this weekend over there in Gods country. ;) Tim
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Great looking food Tim. Sure wish I was there!!!

• elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    Mellow yella - as in the soda? They look fantastic! :)
    Thanks Kent they were very good I have some left overs come on over anytime. ;)
    Hey Elizabeth, Thanks. :) No not the cola. It's a rub you get from smoking guitar player.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,658
    NOw that is good looking and the dark is just fine...
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• ron4fishron4fish Posts: 144
    Those look real good. B)
  • YardawgYardawg Posts: 16
    Tim your chicken really looks good.
    Thanks Mickey :)

Got to love thighs. :P
    Thanks Ron :)
    Hey Sandy, Thanks. Good talking to you yesterday. How did your country ribs turn out? I'm sure they were a hit. ;)
  • YardawgYardawg Posts: 16
    Tim, the country ribs turned out great. They are the only ribs my wife will eat.
    I am up to 185 on two butts now. The egg had a little rest after cooking romaine at 350. I shut it down til it got to 200 and replaced old lump with new. I put two 9 pound butts on at 10 PM.
    Well you going to eat good again today. :P